Sony MusicNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Orchard is an independent music and film distribution company distributing music from artists such as AWOLNATION, Kelsea Ballerini, and Skepta as well as films like Cannes Grand Prix Winner BPM (Beats Per Minute), and Sundance Jury Prize winner Dina, and The Hero. With our industry-leading technology and operations, we partner with companies of all sizes to make their music, films and videos available across hundreds of digital outlets and physical retailers around the world. At The Orchard, the focus is to provide a comfortable, social and engaging environment to encourage productivity and creativity.
The Orchard is looking for a Director of Engineering to help lead some of our dynamic NYC development teams.
As Director of Engineering, you'll be responsible for building out an Engineering team which supports supports multiple lines of our core business, managing the development process, and defining our technical infrastructure. Your impressive skills as a technologist will allow you to own the Engineering Roadmap, architect scalable applications, as well as lead the charge on automation and continuous integration. You’ll be excited to learn that we ship code continuously 24/7 and take testing seriously. You'll get the opportunity to get your hands dirty while also managing and mentoring individuals on the Engineering team. You are well respected for your technical skills, but take even more pride in the accomplishments and growth of the team. You have a high degree of empathy for working with legacy systems and are pragmatic about migrating them to a modern, cloud-based infrastructure while delivering value to stakeholders.
An ideal candidate for this role is someone who thrives in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment and is able to balance solutions that are elegant and scalable, yet simple and pragmatic. You embrace the value of shipping rather than over-engineering.
• Build, lead and inspire an agile, globally distributed team of software engineers.
• Drive the technology strategy and architecture goals for your engineering team.
• Work closely with senior management and your engineering team to define the team’s goals and roadmap.
• Partner with a Product Manager and stakeholders to define projects and high level scope. Work with engineering team to bring each project from conception to production.
• Function as mediator and primary point of contact for your engineering team to ensure smooth transitions and eliminate unnecessary interruptions.
• Hands on contribution: writing code and helping your team reach their deliverables in our diverse, microservice driven architecture.
• Use your vast technical experience to provide elegant solutions for problems such as event based streaming of data to and from clients, pragmatic upgrades for legacy solutions, and more.
• 3-5 years of leadership experience combined with 8 years of experience as a software engineer.
• Solid understanding of modern architecture (we use Python based microservices with React frontends) as well as familiarity with legacy solutions (PHP).
• Experience building modular, event-driven systems.
• Passion for shipping daily and iterating.
• Experience working with cloud-based technologies (we use AWS and on-premise hardware). Interest in DevOps, containerization and automation.
• Hands on engineering experience, ideally with Python, MySQL and NoSQL data stores, some PHP. Experience with event streaming architecture using Kinesis and/or Kafka would be helpful.
• Passion for using technology to elegantly solve business problems.
• Experience interacting with stakeholders and ability to explain and “sell” technical concepts to technical and non-technical people.
About The Orchard®?
The Orchard is an independent music and video distribution company that provides an innovative and comprehensive sales and marketing platform for content owners. With our industry-leading technology and operations, we partner with companies of all sizes to make their music and videos available across hundreds of digital and mobile outlets around the world, and physical retailers too. We work with our clients to maximize their revenue, and provide them with the latest and greatest digital marketing tools and sophisticated sales analytics to help them run their businesses efficiently and effectively.
The Orchard was founded in 1997 in New York City to foster independence and creativity in the music industry. Our headquarters are in New York and London, with operations in more than 25 markets around the world, including France, Spain, Germany, Mexico, Argentina, India, Australia and more. At The Orchard, the focus is to provide a comfortable, social and engaging environment to encourage productivity, creativity and personal/business relationships. From monthly potlucks and game nights to company kickball teams and other staff perks, our employees like what they do and where they do it.
The Orchard is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.