Associate Director, Engineering
Sony MusicNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Orchard is an independent music and film distribution company distributing music from artists such as AWOLNATION, Kelsea Ballerini, and Skepta as well as films like Cannes Grand Prix Winner BPM (Beats Per Minute), and Sundance Jury Prize winner Dina, and The Hero. With our industry-leading technology and operations, we partner with companies of all sizes to make their music, films and videos available across hundreds of digital outlets and physical retailers around the world. At The Orchard, the focus is to provide a comfortable, social and engaging environment to encourage productivity and creativity.
The Orchard is looking for an Associate Director, Engineering to join our NYC (East Village) office.
As Associate Director of Engineering, you'll be responsible for building out an Engineering team which supports a line of business, managing the development process, and defining our technical infrastructure. Your impressive skills as a technologist will allow you to own the Engineering Roadmap, architect scalable applications, as well as lead the charge on automation and continuous integration. You’ll be excited to learn that we ship code continuously 24/7 and take testing seriously. You'll get the opportunity to get your hands dirty while also managing and mentoring individuals on the Engineering team. You are well respected for your technical skills, but take even more pride in the accomplishments and growth of the team.
An ideal candidate for this role is someone who thrives in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment and is able to balance solutions that are elegant and scalable, yet simple and pragmatic. You embrace the value of shipping rather than over-engineering.
• Build, lead and inspire an agile team of 4-5 software engineers.
• Drive the technology strategy and architecture goals for your engineering team.
• Work closely with senior management and your engineering team to define the team’s goals and roadmap.
• Partner with a Product Manager to define projects and high level scope. Work with engineering team to bring each project from conception to production.
• Function as mediator and primary point of contact for your engineering team to ensure smooth transitions and eliminate unnecessary interruptions.
• Hands on contribution: writing code and helping your team reach their deliverables in our diverse, microservice driven architecture.
• Manager with hands-on development experience and a strong software engineering background.
• Experience building modular, event-driven systems at scale.
• Passion for shipping daily and iterating.
• Experience directly managing agile teams and processes.
• Experience working with cloud-based technologies (we use AWS and on-premise hardware).
• Passion for using technology to elegantly solve business problems.
• Hands on engineering experience, ideally with Python, MySQL and NoSQL data stores, some PHP.
The Orchard is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.