Assistant Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs
Sony MusicNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Orchard is looking for Assistant Counsel – Business & Legal Affairs to join our talented Legal team.
Drafting and negotiating label distribution and artist services agreements, including amendments to and extensions of existing contracts. This is a responsible legal position that requires specialized knowledge throughout all facets of the music business. Candidate must be organized, detail-oriented and thorough, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects at once. The ideal candidate would have a thorough knowledge of intellectual property and copyright law and licensing practices as they pertain to sound recordings, as well as experience with distribution contracts.
• Drafting, negotiating and signing label distribution deals.
• Drafting, negotiating and signing artist services deals.
• Working with legal resources globally to refine and update standard contract forms.
• Drafting, negotiating and signing amendments and extensions to all of the above, as needed.
• Law Degree and two (2) years of experience in a similar position and industry.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Deep knowledge of intellectual property and copyright law and licensing practices, as they pertain to sound recordings.
• Highly organized with an ability to track and prioritize a high volume of projects and adjust to changing priorities.
The Orchard is a leading music distribution company distributing music from artists such as Ozuna, Jorja Smith, Run The Jewels and Kelsea Ballerini. With cutting edge operations and an unparalleled global team, The Orchard partners with companies of all sizes to make their music available across hundreds of digital outlets and physical retailers around the world. At The Orchard, the focus is to provide a comfortable, social and engaging environment to encourage productivity and creativity.
About The Orchard
The Orchard is a leading music distribution company operating in over 40 markets worldwide. With a comprehensive artist & label services offering including full-service marketing, sync licensing, comprehensive video services, transparent data analysis, advertising, rights management, digital and physical distribution and more, The Orchard empowers creators and businesses to grow and adapt in the dynamic global industry. For further information, visit our website.
The Orchard is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.