Technical Production Manager
Sony ImageworksVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
The technical production manager is responsible for managing technology development projects within the Development Group, across multiple shows, and in conjunction with other business units. The position must partner with producers, VFX supervisors, CG supervisors, departments heads, engineers, and artists to define technology and workflow requirements to meet the needs of productions and facility initiatives. The technical production manager must effectively communicate between teams in a rapidly changing production environment.
What you'll be doing:
If you are the person who can successfully explain to grandma how to use ''the interwebs'', we are looking for you. We need someone technically savvy with good communication skills to act as a liaison between our group of intensely focused software engineers and our driven time sensitive film productions. Your job will be to ensure that the code we write is what our productions need, is delivered on time, and is a benefit to the facility in the long run. You will need to have, or develop a strong understanding of production workflow and be able to prioritize and delegate tasks where appropriate to achieve the best results in the shortest time step. Our ideal candidate comes from a visual effects or animation production background having worked as a resource manager or production manager, and has a curious mind with a technical bent. Specific areas we are interested in your prior experience with are managing cueing systems, review workflows and production tracking.
• Working in conjunction with Pipeline Architects and Supervisors to evaluate prospective projects for benefits to production and facility.
• Plan solutions to increase efficiency and productivity across the pipeline and within departments.
• Facilitate clear communication with productions and technical departments to generate milestones and schedules.
• Manage day-to-day tasks of Dev Group supervisors and software engineers to drive approved projects to successful completion.
• In cooperation with town council leads, schedule and facilitate town councils and prioritization of development for respective area of the pipeline.
• Partner with technology groups to structure, plan, and execute the required work to bring the studio's pipeline into alignment with strategic technology goals.
• Discover opportunities to optimize and enhance artist's interactions with the pipeline and production resources.
• Keep up-to-date on current industry technologies and techniques
• Be involved in outside discussions with 3 rd party vendors as these discussions relate to pipeline initiatives
• 3-5 years in the production of Visual effects and/or Animation as a Digital Production manager, project management and software development or Resource manager.
• Practical experience configuring and managing production workflow, with cueing systems, review systems, and production tracking software.
• Proactive approach to management with a genuine desire to solve problems
• Highly developed communication skills.
• Experience balancing the short term needs of production with the long term stability of an enterprise codebase and pipeline.
• Be sort of a nerd. Get excited about technology and innovation.