Sony ImageworksVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
Software Engineer (For Desktop Apps)
Sony Pictures Imageworks is looking for senior software engineers to join our Vancouver, Canada development team. The position requires strong software development skills, expertise in one or more programming languages, and the ability to design high quality, robust, and easy to maintain code and tools. The engineer is primarily responsible for development and implementation of production and studio tools under the guidance of a departmental lead. This position requires collaboration with other engineering staff, project managers, and production artists to develop and implement innovative studio capabilities.
Our desktop applications are proprietary software designed for various production pipelines like: reviewing digital media, editorial, scheduling, render farm management, searching asset libraries and others. These applications along with other smaller apps are heavily integrated with proprietary and third party tools and systems.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
• Knowledge of user interface design and standard UI toolkits, speci?cally QT/PyQT
• Experience programming in Python
• Experience with UNIX / Linux
• Ability to design and implement systems in a complex environment
• Proven ability to deliver high quality software in a fast paced, dynamic environment
Nice to have:
• CG and VFX industry experience
• Experience with OpenGL and other popular multimedia frameworks
• Experience with image decoders and video codecs
Full time 5-7 years of experience creating libraries, custom plug-ins and UI tools for Animation or Visual Effects.
Who We Are:
The Dev Group acts as authors, collaborators and gatekeepers of the Imageworks pipeline and software. We work with productions to develop tools and technology that make our images great. Our engineering expertise spans the entire artist work?ow, as well as the tools Imageworks uses to manage its assets and track it's productions. We have a variety of technical challenges and are looking for individuals from varying backgrounds and expertise to provide diverse voices for creative engineering solutions.
If you are interested in things like:
• Managing huge environments made up of thousands of assets, and determining how best to interact with them in a software package like Maya, with multiple departments modifying the scene simultaneously.
• Writing tools and Maya plugins for the creative manipulation of hair and cloth simulated elements.
• Integrating Houdini and Maya tools into our fx pipeline.
• GPU implementations for visualization of assets.
• Core technology growth in our Katana lighting tool, working closely with The Foundry's Katana engineers.
• Reducing the time to - rst pixel as well as - nding ef?ciencies through more streamlined toolsets.
• Using new distributed databases to solve multi-facility, multi-master database problems.
• Managing and assigning hundreds of terabytes of storage ef?ciently relative to data type.
• Making the most ef?cient use of thousands of cores when very disparate jobs need to run on them simultaneously.
• Writing a distributed multi-site asset management system.
Ongoing contributions to open source projects like OpenColorIO, OpenImageIO, OSL, Alembic, and more.
Sony Pictures Imageworks produces high-end visual effects for movies, such as the the Amazing Spider-Man 2, Edge of Tomorrow, and Oz the Great and Powerful. The company's work has been recognized with numerous awards and nominations, including the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects for Spider-Man 2.
Imageworks proved its all-CG character animation and production capabilities with the animated short, The ChubbChubbs! which won an Academy Award. Surf's Up received an Academy Award nomination for Best Animated Feature. Imageworks is unique in its ability to provide quality digital production for live action, all-CG, motion capture and hybrid live-action/animated - lms. Imageworks prides itself as a community of artists supporting the imagination and expression of visual storytellers.
Today, Imageworks is unique in its ability to provide quality digital production for live action, all-CG, motion capture and hybrid live-action/animated - lms. Its community of innovative digital artists and computer technologists collaborate creatively with - lmmakers, helping them to bring their vision from the storyboard to the theater and delight audiences around the globe.
Please note that there may not be any positions immediately open, but we are always accepting applications for potential positions.