Rendering Engineer - Arnold
Sony ImageworksVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
Sony Pictures Imageworks is expanding! We are experiencing rapid growth in our Vancouver office as we move into our brand new state of the art facility. At Imageworks we create groundbreaking visual effects and animation for motion pictures. We are looking for a dynamic and energetic Infrastructure Software Engineer to join the team at Imageworks Canada.
What You'll be doing:
You're the person who stays on top of the cutting edge developments in rendering and optimizations. Beyond that, you're someone who knows it can be done better. At Imageworks, you'll work as a part of a small team developing our in-house variation of the Arnold rendering system. You'll aim to divine and implement next level strategies for creating stunningly lifelike and efficient rendering scenes.
Every film provides great challenge and opportunity for pushing boundaries of our rendering toolset. Your contributions will advance live action and feature animated projects to be seen the world over.
Working with other top-notch rendering engineers at Imageworks, you'll each grow and stretch the state of the art in rendering. Films are always ramping up which provides you an ever changing problem set that will keep you alert to new solutions. Connecting with award winning CG and VFX supervisors, you can help set the stage for creating the next generation of physically correct rendering. You can also contribute to other disciplines within the software group, according to your strengths and interests.
• Expertise in C/C
• Proficient at integrating raytracers
• Ability to research, analyze and optimize code
• Penchant for solving real world rendering scenarios
• Good communication skills and an aptitude for working in small teams
• Bachelor in Computer Science or equivalent
• Experience with UNIX / Linux
• Experience developing for games a plus
About the Team: Backend Dev:
The Backend Development team works closely with artists in rendering, compositing, stereo, color science and fx. We support both off-the-shelf and proprietary tools, developing the workflows that help artists efficiently create amazing images for film.
Some of the types of tasks associated with our group include:
• Core technology growth in our Katana lighting tool, working closely with The Foundry's Katana engineers.
• Ongoing contributions to open source projects like OpenColorIO, OpenImageIO, OSL, Alembic, and more.
• GPU implementations for visualization of assets.
• Support color integration for all shows and outside vendors as well.
• Creating cutting-edge, next generation rendering algorithms within our version of Arnold.
• Reducing the time to first pixel as well as finding efficiencies through more streamlined toolsets.
• Leveraging and honing OSL to produce easy-to-use, realistic shaders that just look good out of the box.
• Integrating Houdini and Maya tools to our fx pipeline. Visualizing fx elements within Katana and Arnold.
• Continuously improving toolsets, as needs arise, for show driven technology requirements.
Those with a penchant for assessing artist workflow limitations, and the aptitude to implement a cohesive solution, are encouraged to apply.