Manager, Residuals Claims
SAG-AFTRALos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Who We Are
SAG-AFTRA is the iconic American labor union that represents approximately 160,000 media professionals. SAG-AFTRA employees support our members and thrive on securing the strongest protections by negotiating the best wages, working conditions, health and pension benefits. We preserve and expand members’ work opportunities, vigorously enforce our contracts and protect our members against unauthorized use of their work. -
What You’ll Do
Provide management support to the Residuals Claims area, supervisors and staff. Direct the activities and workload of the Business Representatives. Provide guidance throughout the Department, the Union and to external parties with regard to contract interpretation on residuals topics.
This section provides a general summary of the most significant job duties performed. It does not explain in detail every single duty performed.
• Direct the workload of the Business Representatives in handling of claims, including assignment of claims, establishment of goals, objectives and activities.
• Provide guidance/contractual interpretations to the Business Representatives in the handling of claims.
• Assist in directing the workload of the claims support staff, including goals, objectives and activities.
• Provide guidance/contractual interpretations to members and other external parties as circumstances dictate.
• Conduct ongoing staff training and development, as well as hiring of new staff.
• Handle Human Resources issues (staffing/terminations/promotions etc.). Conduct staff and individual meetings, prepare bi-annual assessments, establish and maintain performance standards.
• Assist in implementing departmental and Union residuals policies.
• Performs other duties as assigned or as the situation dictates.
What You’ll Need
We want to make sure you’re successful. To be considered, you must have:
• Able to read, comprehend and interpret contracts, and explain them to others
• Able to negotiate with skill, tact and diplomacy
• Able to deal with difficult situations in a calm and professional manner and maintain and inspire a team approach
• Able to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing
• Able to use PC applications
• Detail oriented
• Able to organize, prioritize and coordinate multiple tasks under daily deadlines
• Able to work under pressure
• Superlative interpersonal skills: high degree of patience and tact. Must be able to cultivate respectful, strategic and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds both internally and externally
• Have an understanding and awareness of worker rights impacting SAG-AFTRA members
• Hold yourself and others accountable for a high level of performance and integrity
• Capable of taking direction from more than one supervisor
• Must be able to work in a challenging environment where constructive feedback from others is encouraged
• Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined at SAG-AFTRA’s sole discretion
• Must be available and willing to work extended hours (and/or overtime for applicable non- exempt positions) per day or per week, including weekends and holidays, as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary to meet its business needs
• Must be available and willing to travel to such locations and with such frequency as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs Working knowledge of the residuals provisions of the various SAG-AFTRA agreements.
• Working knowledge of the residuals provisions of the various SAG-AFTRA agreements.
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience working with union agreements.
• College degree and supervisory experience a plus.
We are a great place to work because we offer:
What You’ll Get
• Colleagues that are passionate about what we do and how they contribute to our mission
• Autonomy to do your job well
• Balance between work and home life responsibilities
• Affordable and comprehensive medical and dental plans
• Generous pension plan
• Employee discounts and perks