Event Manager - Pax
Full Time Job
WORKING FOR REEDPOP:
ReedPOP wants individuals who demonstrate initiative, an inquisitive mind, a creative vision, an obsession with making things better, a passion for solving puzzles, the humility to laugh at yourself, the willingness to ask for help when you're over your head (you will be), the ability to deal (healthily) with multiple projects, tight deadlines and demanding partners. We work how we live and we apply our passion for pop culture to every aspect of what we do. We want someone who can't help but wake up at 3 AM thinking about improving the experience for our fans. Our culture is creative, fun, supportive, open without exception, and as with all positions at ReedPOP, the focus is on fans first, regardless of if they're in a three-piece suit or walking around with a four-foot sword made out of cardboard. At ReedPOP, we've found that positive, genuine, good-hearted people make great co-workers, so that's the type of person we hire. Bring us your creativity, personality, customer focus and enthusiasm for pop culture – we can't wait to meet you!
WHAT'S COOL ABOUT THIS JOB:
PAX is a festival for gamers of all genres to come together and celebrate the culture of gaming. Unreleased games, big booths, compelling panels, game music concerts, the gaming community and industry support puts PAX far above any other show on the planet. What makes PAX special is its total focus on community, culture and the gamers themselves. The PAX Event Manager will collaborate daily with the PAX Event Director/IVP, the Penny Arcade team and the ReedPOP Operations team on the individual show revenue goals, operating budgets, fan experience, sales pipeline and direct management of all shows in the PAX portfolio. The PAX Event Manager must be a sharp, detail oriented hustler that is willing to be completely immersed in the gaming industry in order to identify trends that will lead to ticket sales, sponsorship opportunities and media exposure while still keeping the integrity of what PAX is and why fans love PAX in focus. The PAX Event Manager will contribute to our strategic direction, develop new business opportunities within the gaming industry, forge strong relationships with industry influencers, and create plans that fans will be excited about while also achieving our strategic and financial goals. The preferred candidate will have experience with brand activation & product management within the games industry and a proven track record of customer focused leadership in live environments, whether that be online or physical spaces. The PAX Event Manager should have experience with building strategic alliances and business communities in the gaming industry. Since you're balancing the needs of both the fans and the exhibitor community, an ability to build strong relationships is critical. The PAX Event Manager will need to be skilled in reviewing, recommending and integrating new ideas for our shows – although an ability to write code isn't a requirement, an understanding of how different technologies and solutions fit into the larger puzzle of the PAX experience is critical. A high level of emotional intelligence, operational excellence and organizational awareness is critical to success in this role. You must be able to collaborate and leverage the expertise of colleagues across the company to deliver strategic initiatives and build direct engagement between brands and the highly influential fans from across the world that come to PAX. You must see the value of data and use customer insights to develop new service/product solutions, drive sales opportunities and develop show features based on customer needs.
BRING YOUR PASSION AND EXPERTISE:
• Ensure that all PAX events fit within the guidelines of what it means to be a PAX event and that the PAX brand is correctly positioned internally and externally for future growth
• Ensure all messaging and imagery represent PAX positively and authentically to both internal and external audiences on a global level
• Plan, execute, grow and deliver the best possible experiences for the gaming community while balancing the financial needs of the business
• Work with the PAX Event director to manage the full P&L for the PAX event portfolio including tracking, forecasting internal reporting to senior leadership
• Develop a vision and operational plan for the onsite experience at our PAX shows
• Act as a collaborative entrepreneur to see new possibilities by taking in information and leveraging insights to develop and maintain an understanding of our customers' needs and objectives through strong business relationships
• Direct sales and marketing strategies as well as operational execution to properly define and deliver world class experiences for the PAX fans while also delivering a combination of higher revenue and profits
• Work with the PAX Team and senior management to develop ongoing retention strategies, new sales tools and innovate programs that will drive annual increases in overall event retention for your shows
• Manage the sourcing and delivery of high quality gaming related content for publication and broadcast
• Deliver superior customer solutions by identifying customer needs and problems that need to be solved and leveraging those solutions to transform business needs
• Create a ''one team'' approach through collaboration with domestic and international marketing, sales, operations and talent/content teams
• Be innovative in your approach and always think about what will authentically appeal to the audience while also delivering the results that are expected of you
• Must maintain an eye for detail on all activations big and small, while communicating with the team to meet deadlines and drive awareness
• College degree or equivalent business training or experience preferred
• Experience in managing live events
• Ability to work outside of the 9-5 work day hours when needed
• Five or more years of experience in the gaming industry (preferred) and/or related field
• Highly developed gaming industry insights and relationships
• Must be highly collaborative with a ''We'' not ''Me'' mentality.
• Highly organized, detail oriented & proactive with a strong ownership sensibility and a passion for our brands.
• Must be comfortable with ambiguity and always willing to take the initiative to create something new
• You must be resourceful and willing to find creative solutions that will help you achieve your goals
• We are looking for an individual who is a creative thinker and a problem solver – someone who can bring innovative ideas to grow the brand and the business and be capable of executing upon them.
• We want a social and empathetic leader that will truly care about our audiences and live for making them happy as often as possible
• You should be team-oriented and collaborative with the ability to manage relationships with internal and external partners.
• Strong conceptual planning, creative vision, and innovation skills.
• You should be a happy, optimistic person that enjoys seeing the big picture while striving to create a great future for our brands
• Must be flexible and able to adjust within a fast-paced work environment with unpredictable deadlines and schedules.
• Ability to multi-task, shift priorities and focus on finding solutions
• You should be flexible in your viewpoints, always looking for the best ideas and ready to be an advocate for ideas other than your own
• Must be a humble leader that is secure enough in yourself to be able to ask for help, say ''I don't know'' and always learn from your mistakes.
• Professional level knowledge of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
• A true passion for video games, pop culture and our fans
• Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
• Some travel is required. Approximately 6-8 times per year
Find out more: http://www.reedpop.com