VP, Strategy & Business Development
Prometheus Global MediaLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
VP, Strategy & Business Development (Temporary)
Valence has an immediate opening for VP of Strategy & Business Development for a six month project. The VP of Strategy & Business Development will be a thought leader in the company and key contributor in setting the organization's strategic direction. Valence is a growth company and will rely on the VP to generate, assess and implement new businesses, products and partnerships at Valence. This team works directly with the company's Co-CEOs, divisional leadership and executives across the entire organization. Valence is a learning culture and this role offers the opportunity to build deep operational expertise while pondering some of the biggest strategic shifts facing the industry. This candidate will need the ability to think laterally, synthesize and communicate complex problems, and flexibility to collaborate across teams, products, and functions. The pace of change and implementation of new strategic initiatives will require a dynamic person that can balance the discipline to be both process-driven and comfortable working outside the bounds of a highly structured role.
This position will report to the Head of Strategy and Business Development and work closely with the team to assess strategy for the company, business development initiatives, new product launches, individual project underwriting and greenlight analysis, M&A and investments, integrations and transformations (including operational excellence initiatives). Meaningful opportunity for professional development and exposure to all facets of the business as the company is highly cross-functional. Opportunities for high performers to advance in the team or in operational roles across the organization.
• Lead sourcing, evaluation and structuring of new business development and strategic opportunities across the Valence divisions and product categories
• Oversee planning, launch and integration of growth initiatives and strategic partnerships, including investments and acquisitions
• Stay abreast of and analyze worldwide industry trends to inform and shape Valence's strategic plan; facilitate conversation with operators that have functional expertise
• Assess and review greenlight models and drive negotiating strategy for Film, TV, live event, non-fiction and other new product line extensions
• Project management of internal operational excellence initiatives
• Evaluate potential corporate investments, acquisitions, and partnerships
• Supervise, coordinate, and nurture close collaboration with operating teams across all functional roles (creative, production, legal, marketing, PR, finance and sales)
The successful candidate will have:
• 8 years of experience including management consulting or corporate strategy
• Bachelor's Degree with strong GPA; MBA preferred
• Prior experience in media and entertainment is a plus
• Strong strategic thinking capabilities with demonstrated ability to think creatively and logically without being bound to traditional methods or industry norms
• Proven track record of initiating and driving new business opportunities with a highly rigorous and process-driven approach; experience managing and deploying team members with varied level of expertise and diverse analytical styles
• Open-ended problem-solving, effective multi-tasking, and strong time management capabilities
• Intellectual curiosity, strong desire for continual learning and interest in developing team members
• Values diverse backgrounds, points of view, and cultural histories as critical to organizational success and ability to innovate
• Ability to thrive in a fast paced, deadline driven environment
• Interest and ability to work independently, deploy judgment in decision-making and prioritization, and thrive in a highly entrepreneurial environment
• Advanced Excel modeling and PowerPoint skills and the ability to organize and synthesize data in a clear and concise manner
• Demonstrated experience in building and maintaining successful, influential working relationships at all levels of an organization
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills as company is highly cross-functional and role will be responsible for delivering analysis and outputs to colleagues with a wide range of expertise
Due to the volume of resumes that we receive, only those candidates selected for consideration will be contacted. No phone calls, no agencies please.
Valence Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Valence Media is a diversified and integrated media company with divisions in premium television, wide release film, specialty film, live entertainment, digital media and publishing. Valence's core mission is to offer a unique environment to develop and attract great leaders through collaboration across platforms, professional development and learning, and a focus on building an industry-leading culture of inclusion, diversity and safety. Valence launched in February 2018 with the combination of MRC, dick clark productions, The Billboard-Hollywood Reporter Media Group, and a minority interest in A24. Valence is an active acquisition and investment platform focused on partnering with entrepreneurs and leaders in entertainment and media.
Valence's content includes premium scripted TV series ''House of Cards,'' ''Ozark'' and ''Counterpart''; live event franchises including The Golden Globes, Billboard Music Awards, American Music Awards and New Year's Rockin' Eve; films Baby Driver, Ted, and the upcoming Mortal Engines, written and produced by Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh and Knives Out, from Rian Johnson; and ownership interest in studio films Peter Rabbit, Furious 7, 22 Jump Street and Hotel Transylvania 2 and 3. Billboard-Hollywood Reporter Media Group is the #4 entertainment news and music publisher, reaching over 45 million people a month and garnering over 2 billion annual online views of video content. In addition to The Hollywood Reporter and Billboard, the company's brands include Spin, Vibe and Stereogum. To date, Valence projects have grossed more than $5.5 billion in worldwide box office and have been nominated for over 35 Golden Globe Awards, over 150 Emmy Awards, 35 Academy Awards, and 2 Grammy Awards.