VP - Business and Legal Affairs
Original ProductionsBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Job Description - Original Productions, Emmy-Award winning producer of unscripted content, is seeking a VP, Business and Legal Affairs. This role reports directly to the COO/ EVP, Business Affairs being responsible for the day-to-day legal matters of a high volume of unscripted productions.
• Provide legal advice to internal clients on related legal & business affairs issues (e.g., music rights, ancillary rights assessment, copyrights/trademarks, insurance, etc.) and managing external counsel in relation to same
• Structure, draft and negotiate agreements for active productions and projects in development (e.g., production, distribution, talent, vendor,, below-the-line, graphics, consultant, equipment rental, and location agreements)
• Conduct legal pre-broadcast screenings, identifying potential exposure to claims, including, without limitation, defamation, copyright and trademark infringement, invasion of privacy, and right of publicity.
• Asses and mitigate risk in all matters under your remit;
• Maintain and develop relationships with the sales, finance, creative and marketing teams.
• Internal reporting
• Other duties, projects as needed
• J.D. from an A.B.A. accredited law school and admission to the California Bar.
• 7-10 years of experience in the entertainment industry with law firm, studio, network and/or Production Company experience. with meaningful experience with unscripted content.
• Excellent, practical knowledge of copyright and trademark law as well as various privacy torts.
• Strong drafting and negotiation skills.
• Independent problem-solving capabilities and effective multi-tasking capability with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
• Experience across digital distribution and monetization, as well as across production legal matters for made-for-new media / digital native productions.
• Excellent judgment skills, and high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to deal sensitively with confidential material and exercise discretion.
• Able to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Original Productions values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Please note that EntertainmentCareers.Net uses 'disposable' email addresses in our postings. They change frequently so do not post the contact information outside of EntertainmentCareers.Net as it will likely be invalid.
Employer will only allow resumes sent as an attachment.
Do not send in the body of the email. Apply Online