Winter / Spring Intern - Rad Digitization
Full Time Unpaid Internship
Winter/Spring 2019: January 7th- April 19th
NPR's Research, Archives & Data Strategy (RAD) team partners with all programs and divisions to address a wide spectrum of information needs and to maintain NPR’s complete audio archives. As part of our continuing efforts to make our content available digitally, we are recruiting an intern to contribute to audio digitization objectives.
Please note: This RAD internship at NPR is full time and available for current undergraduate or graduate students, or recent graduates. Please include a cover letter for full consideration.
Working under the supervision of RAD team members on digital reformatting of NPR's audio archive, our Digitization Intern will:
• Participate in all stages of the audio digitization workflow, including materials prep, playback and signal extraction, and digital asset management
• Develop an in-depth understanding of magnetic tape, analog-to-digital conversion, and associated technology
• Annotate and promote archives-related content to RAD social media accounts
In your cover letter, please tell us about your:
• Audio preservation coursework and/or experiences digitizing audiovisual materials
• Knowledge of best practices related to the care and preservation of open reel magnetic tape
• Demonstrated interest in audio technology and digital asset management
• Knowledge of digital file formats
• Flexibility with respect to working on multiple projects and shifting priorities
• Ability to articulate the importance of audio preservation to stakeholders and others
• Ability to balance attention to detail and accuracy with an understanding of “the big picture”
• Experience handling deadline pressure and establishing priority among competing demands
• Ability to work independently and/or collaboratively as needs of the project dictate
• Ability to establish rapport quickly and easily with colleagues
• Experience managing the expectations of others
• Excellent communication skills, both in person and in writing
• Passion for current events, history, music, pop culture
Does this sound like you? If so, tell us. Submit your cover letter along with your resume before the deadline.