Winter / Spring Intern - Peggy Girshman Science Desk /
Full Time Unpaid Internship
Winter/Spring 2019: January 7th-April 19th
NPR’s Science Desk is looking for an editorial intern, a multimedia intern or hybrid.
Applicants can apply as primarily an editorial or multimedia intern. For hybrid candidacy, pick the one that suits your strengths and tell us about your skills in other areas.
• Research and report science, health, food and global development news and feature coverage on NPR.org.
• Write posts for the Science Desk’s three blogs.
• Collaborate with NPR reporters and editors on projects across platforms.
• Research and report health news and feature coverage for the Science Desk’s three blogs.
• Assist in production of Web pages and multimedia elements.
• Work with digital team to assist with visual story development.
• Assist with photo and video research and editing for science, health, food and global development coverage on NPR.org
• Work with the digital news team to assist with visual story development including editing of staff and freelance photos.
• Preparation of photos for the website.
• Assists in building Web pages and multimedia elements.
• Assist in data visualization and graphics production.
• Photography and videography as needed.
Interest and knowledge in science, health and food
• Must have excellent writing, researching and editing skills
• Ability to work quickly, accurately and under deadline
• Demonstrated interest in news and science
• Experience preferred in blogging, web production, and photo editing with Photoshop.
Knowledge of NPR web content and radio programming is preferred and flexibility/creativity is a plus.
Please submit a portfolio of relevant work, including up to three clips. Published clips are preferred.
Interest and knowledge in science, health, food and global development
• Still and video shooting skills
• Data visualization and graphics skills
• Ability to work quickly, accurately and under deadline pressure
• A self-starter who can respond to feedback and editorial direction
• Ability to pitch and execute original story ideas
• The ability to exhibit creativity and to show flexibility in handling different kinds of assignments
Please submit a portfolio of relevant work, including photography, graphics, data visualization and/or video work.
Duties for multimedia and editorial interns may also include:
• Routine administrative tasks
• Scheduling interviews
• Retrieving archival tape
• Attending editorial meetings
• Other work as needed