Visuals Editor, NPR News
Full Time Job
The Visuals Editor will help develop and deliver daily visual news video packages for emerging platforms. The position will require the ability to think both quickly and expansively about visual news. Ideal candidates will bring experience in photo and/or video editing, workflow management, evidence of innovative visual expression, and a belief in the value of daily news coverage. Together with a team of visuals editors and NPR News Now, this team member will help imagine and translate NPR’s distinctive journalism to new audiences on new platforms.
• Innovate, execute, assess and iterate daily news photo and video projects for emerging platforms
• Design and implement best practices for video editing and workflow
• Uphold the highest standards for the visual tone of our storytelling
• Survey NPR broadcasts, newswires, competition and internal communications to make sure our video storytelling is optimized and smart
• Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in video, photography, journalism, or other similar related fields (or the equivalent combination of education and experience).
• Five or more years’ experience editing video/photo for the web.
• Must be able to edit photos and video for breaking news with speed and distinction.
• Demonstrated excellence as a visual storyteller
• Demonstrated expertise in digital media editing
• Expertise in daily coverage of national news or general news
• Experience making smart, fast, solid editorial decisions under pressure
• A steely, unshakable sense of journalistic ethics.
• Demonstrated ability to innovate in visual presentations.
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Demonstrated ability to generate and execute creative ideas, and to assimilate and organize large amounts of information.
• Strong verbal communication skills
• Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer. Ability and willingness to work off-hour shifts, including early mornings, nights and/or weekends.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Thorough knowledge of online video, photography, writing and audio production.
• Experience and skill with digital publishing software.
• Experience producing on digital video and audio workstations.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.