Visual Newscast Copy Editor
Full Time Job
As a member of NPR’s Digital Content team, this copy editor will help develop and deliver daily visual news video packages for emerging platforms. The position will require the ability to think both quickly and expansively about visual news and handle stories and visuals that appear across NPR platforms, including npr.org, NPR News Now, Facebook, @NPR on Twitter and our breaking news alert system. You’ll edit stories, headlines, teasers and other display copy for spelling, grammar, punctuation, style, tone and SEO best practices. This role is a leading voice in ensuring accuracy, consistency, clarity and quality across NPR platforms. This editor also works with NPR’s Standards and Practices editor and other newsroom personnel to identify and correct errors in accordance with NPR’s corrections policy. The Digital Content copy editor coordinates with homepage editors, newsroom leaders and others during breaking news coverage, special programming and live events to establish editing priorities. The incumbent works a 40-hour week that may include early morning or evening hours, some holidays and some weekends.
• Copy edits NPR’s Visual Newscast, homepage, social channels, blog posts and other digital stories and graphics
• Working on deadline and under pressure, writes and edits headlines, teasers, captions and other display copy
• Copy edits and proofreads stories, display copy and other text for spelling, grammar, factual accuracy, style, punctuation, fairness, balance and tone
• Works with appropriate staff to edit multimedia elements, including video, photo galleries, charts, graphs and interactive elements
• Copy edits original stories from NPR staff and freelancers
• Assists with editorial production of Web pages as necessary
• Ability and willingness to work Saturdays and/or Sundays
• Other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English or writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum five years of experience as a copy editor
• Minimum one year of experience in editorial decision-making
• Demonstrated skills in copy editing and headline writing
• Thorough knowledge of Associated Press style
• A broad range of general news knowledge
• Understanding of journalistic ethics; Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness
• Willingness to learn skills necessary to work on Digital platforms; ability to adapt to changes in equipment, software and workflow
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing priorities/conditions
• Ability to work independently and with members of a cooperative team
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure
• Strong oral communication skills
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts as needed, including nights and weekends
• Ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer
• Experience in editing under breaking news conditions
• Experience copy editing commentary
• Daily news experience
• Experience in Digital Media
• Knowledge of video production
• Knowledge of audio production
• Experience editing on digital audio workstations
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.