Supervising Producer, Embedded
Full Time Job
Come join the team that produces one of the country’s leading long-form journalism podcasts! From the street gangs of El Salvador to Texas biker wars to police shootings to the Trump administration, we take a story from the news and go deep — by reporting narrative, surprising stories off the headlines. We are looking for a sharp, curious, self-starter who can come help manage the team as it produces, reports, and edits episodes from start to finish.
The show will produce episodes with greater frequency in 2018, becoming NPR’s premier showcase for narrative, long-form, enterprise journalism.
The Embedded supervising producer will help develop a vision for this next chapter of the podcast. The supervising producer will provide editorial and production leadership for the unit, supervising the Embedded team of producers. A strong journalism background is a must, as is a commitment to narrative audio storytelling.
**NPR is open to relocation to the DC headquarters and/or the possibility of working in one of our remote offices **
• Propose great stories for Embedded.
• Develop an editorial agenda for the unit.
• Supervise members of the Embedded production team.
• Oversee and manage unit’s budget.
• Run meetings, help make assignments and set deadlines.
• Establish a structured environment for creative work.
• Ensure editorial, production and technical quality of all products.
• Manage relationships with a variety of internal NPR stakeholders.
• Pursue relationships with outside contributors and organizations.
• Help promote Embedded.
• Help develop a plan for live events.
• Help develop a strategy, with Development and sponsorship teams, for supporting Embedded.
• Think about and plan for the future of Embedded
Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• Seven years’ experience as a news reporter, editor or producer
• Minimum five years’ experience generating and managing complex editorial projects with multiple stakeholders, including the successful execution of surprising and “outside the box” concepts and ideas.
• Demonstrated experience working with and managing highly creative, driven, results-oriented contributors.
• Demonstrated and consistent creative excellence in multi-platform production, including a proven understanding of best practices and opportunities in both audio and digital content creation.
• Strong organizational skills. Experience in creating and overseeing successful production flow and systems highly desirable.
• Expertise in daily news coverage including solid, independent news judgment.
• Experience maintaining high journalistic ethics and standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Strong oral communication and teamwork skills.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Familiarity with cloud-based solutions such as Google docs and Confluence.
• Familiarity with Scrum or other agile processes.
• Experience navigating the public radio station community.