Software Engineer, Voice Platforms
Full Time Job
Emerging platforms, including Smart Speakers such as Amazon Echo and Google Home, represent a rapidly growing segment of the public radio audience. NPR Digital Media is leading efforts in these areas to identify, explore and deliver high quality experiences for this expanding market.
As a Software Engineer, you will work on collaborative Scrum teams responsible for the architecture, design and implementation of the NPR experience on voice platforms and other emerging technologies. You will have a direct impact in growing and engaging the NPR audience on these platforms. You quickly learn new technologies and are committed to delivering high quality solutions that users love.
Why work at NPR matters:
A day in the life of a Software Engineer:
Each day you will work with a cross-functional team of brilliant professionals combining business, design/user experience and engineering expertise, working relentlessly to push the boundaries of what’s possible, paving the road for the future of news and entertainment media.
Our team has a passion for Agile development and continuous improvement. We are diverse, lifelong learners and read omnivorously from NPR’s giveaway book shelf, regularly walk down the hall to Tiny Desk Concerts, tell coding jokes, optionally bring treats to share, have on-site happy hours, and optionally present at conferences. Plus we have great work-life balance - seriously.
You can find out more about a day in the life of a Software Engineer from the job description at this link.
Required Tech Skills:
• Ability to work in Unix command-line over SSH terminal
• Experience working with a version control system (Git preferred)
Other Required Skills:
• Creativity, initiative, thirst for innovation and acute attention to detail
• Vigor for crafting well-tested, well-documented and elegantly structured code
• Empathy for users and passion for crafting great user experiences
• Eagerness to be involved in all stages of the product development cycle
• Flexibility and patience in working with developing and changing technologies.
• Willingness to mentor other developers.
Bonus Points For:
• Experience using TypeScript and ES7
• Experience working in a multidisciplinary product development team
• Experience working in an Agile environment
• Ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical audiences
• Experience working with rapidly evolving APIs and new technologies
• Knowledge of cloud technologies such as AWS or GCP
• Willingness to contribute to open-source projects
• A passion for NPR’s content and/or familiarity with our digital products
Interested in Applying?
This position is funded for at least one year. During or at the end of that year, conversion to a full-time position may be possible, but not guaranteed.
View this link about our interview process, our working environment, more job description, and advice.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.