Social Media Editor, Digital News
Full Time Job
The Social Media Editor helps guide the social strategy for NPR on each of its social platforms and evaluates the engagement and performance with the NPR audience. The role works closely with the newsroom’s Senior Social Media editor and Engagement Team on the strategy execution, focusing on growth and engagement. This Social Media editor role also works with other social media leads from across NPR, including NPR Music, Programming (podcasts), Marketing and sponsorship teams. The editor will work with NPR news desks and on-air shows to help facilitate an understanding of digital best practices and analyze metrics to better serve the audience. In conjunction with the Senior Social Media editor, you will develop a digital network with NPR member stations, developing workflows to amplify station content and sharing information with stations about new developments and products in the industry. This social media editor will also assist with the planning and execution of special news coverage, packages and live events.
• Working under the guidance of the Senior Supervising Editor for Engagement sets NPR’s social media strategy for each social platform.
• Monitors NPR’s social media accounts for performance on each platform, working closely with Audience Insights team.
• Works with NPR’s Engagement team to execute strategy.
• Monitors social media platform developments and news and suggests ways NPR can use new platforms, tools and tactics.
• Works with shows, desks, and verticals on projects to develop social media plans on major coverage areas or events.
• Occasionally fills in to perform engagement editor roles posting content to NPR’s main social accounts and NPR.org.
• Assists in managing editorial relationship with social networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc).
• Works with the senior social media editor to make decisions on how NPR will play our big stories and breaking news on our main NPR social accounts, relays these plans to the audience engagement team who are often the ones who are executing.
• Drive learning and understanding of interns, reporters, and on occasion member stations on how to use social media platforms and tools.
• Provides training sessions for staff on social media best practices.
• Works closely with NPR Ethics and Standards editor to advise on NPR’s social media policy for journalists and raises ethical issues.
• Analyzes metrics, including Chartbeat and Google Analytics, to understand and better serve the digital audience.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree preferably in journalism, English, or writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience.
• At least five years of experience in daily journalism (digital, print and/or broadcast).
• At least three years of experience in editorial decision-making.
• At least two years of experience managing relationships with social media companies (Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.)
• Demonstrated experience in operating and growing social media presence for a major news brand.
• Familiarity with NPR’s news judgment, storytelling approach, news magazines and podcasts. Strong understanding of what makes the NPR “voice” unique on social compared with other news media.
• Solid, independent news judgment. Strong familiarity with the mission of public media.
• Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Experience with intellectual property issues involved in publications generally and Web publications in particular.
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing priorities/conditions.
• Ability to work independently and with members of a cooperative team.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Experience working in a large news organization with affiliate newsrooms.
• Experience with creating social media visuals, including video and gifs.
• Experience reporting, writing and/or editing.
• Experience editing under daily breaking news conditions
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at our website and on Twitter.