Senior Manager, Programming and Production
Full Time Job
Sometimes a 30-second promo can be a work of art, a fundraising spot can pack an emotional punch, and an underwriting message can help define the sound of an entire network. We’re looking for someone who understands this and can lead the talented group that makes it all happen at NPR. The Senior Manager, Programming and Production will help to set the direction for the sound of NPR’s promos, underwriting messages, and fundraising spots. They will also manage relationships with some of our shows produced by outside partners and member stations, and play a key role in the Programming Department. This dynamic role reports to the Senior Director of Programming and works closely with the leadership of the Marketing, Member Partnership, Sales, and News divisions.
• Supervise daily, weekly, and monthly promo production for Morning Edition and All Things Considered.
• Oversee production of the captivating, memorable fundraising materials NPR provides to stations, with particular attention to what will be most helpful to stations in their fundraising drives.
• Own the strategy and execution of on-air funding credits for the network, featuring best in class talent.
• Effectively recruit, onboard training and manage best in class performance.
• Develop the talent in their roles and high potential staff for future growth of the Division and the NPR Organization.
• Partner with others in the organization to develop strategies and tactics that diversify, grow and engage audiences.
• Maintain relationships with shows produced by outside partners and member stations.
• Integrate work with other NPR departments including Member Partnership, Marketing & Branding, Digital Media, Development, Audio Engineering, Information Technology, News, and Audience Insight.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience.
• 3 years of management experience
• Has experience managing content production flow from start to finish. Has written and produced successful spots.
• Has a track record of managing best in class teams and talent development (competencies).
• Must be able to develop a recruiting strategy and acquire new talent for department strategic plans.
• Applicable knowledge and understanding of public radio programming, news, funding credits, and high-level fundraising process.
• Ability to navigate in a complex, fast-paced work environment with many stakeholders and collaborators.
• Must love language and the ability to communicate messages that resonate with audiences.
• Must have organizational skills and ability to prioritize urgent to action tasks on a daily basis.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Critical Thinking
• Problem Solving
• Learning Agility
• Managerial Courage
• Quality Decision Making
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.