Senior Director - Development Operations
Full Time Job
Senior Director, Development Operations
NPR seeks to hire a dynamic, experienced, and mission-driven Senior Director of Development Operations to lead NPR Development in establishing best practice operating policies, procedures, and strategy. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer and partnering closely with the senior leadership team, the Senior Director of Development Operations will play an integral role on the NPR Development leadership team managing research, database, and gift processing. The Senior Director of Development Operations will also play an important role in campaign planning and implementation.
NPR has an impressive group of loyal, generous donors and volunteers. In addition to long-term relationships with significant funders like Gates Foundation, The Ford Foundation, and John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, NPR has been successful in attracting and retaining donors to support an organizational annual fundraising goal of $30M . There is room to grow NPR’s individual giving program and NPR is well positioned to execute this is the current fundraising environment.
The ideal candidate will have a strong foundation of best practice fundraising knowledge, with a track record of devising and implementing successful development operations that elevate all functions of the development team. They will be strategic, have a service-oriented approach and keen business/nonprofit acumen, and thrive in a fast-paced, creative, results-oriented culture.
Lead vital development services and strategic functions
• Oversee and manage strategic and administrative functions of NPR Development, including but not limited to:
• Development research
• Database maintenance, management, and reporting
• Gift processing and acknowledgement
• Prospect management
• Provide support, as needed, for all fundraising activity including cultivation, solicitation, donor events, stewardship, and campaign fundraising
• Utilize data to develop metrics for success, track progress, recommend benchmarks, and develop reports for the CDO and Development Leadership team
Required Skills and Experience
• 10 years non-profit development experience, both front-line and development operations experience preferred
• Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
• Raiser’s Edge experience required. Additional experience with Salesforce preferred.
• Exceptional communication and relationship-management experience
• Service oriented with strong client relationship skills
• Proven ability to manage teams to success
• Sound understanding and recognition of the role of information technology to support development efforts
• Proven ability to synthesize and analyze data to increase efficiency and efficacy
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects, to set and adjust priorities, and work under pressure while maintaining composure and a sense of humor
• Experience in significant and/or successful fundraising campaigns
• Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet concurrent deadlines, organize time and priorities, and to do so in collaboration with diverse stakeholders
• Strong commitment to NPR’s code of ethics, standards, and reputation as a nonpartisan public news organization
• DC-based or willingness to relocate to the DC-Metro area
• Up to 10% travel per year
• Experience working on and supporting capital campaigns
• Understanding of the public media development environment
• Love of NPR
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex.