Full Time Job
Project Manager, How I Built This Summit
The NPR Events team is looking for someone to be the lead Project Manager of the How I Built This Summit, the NPR annual gathering of big thinkers for a day of stories and activities to inspire people’s own ventures: business, non-profit, creative and beyond. The successful candidate is a creative strategic thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit, who loves to problem solve quickly to drive results. We are looking for someone who has experience creating and executing large-scale events, the ability to manage complex multi-layered deliverables, experience overseeing budgets, and can balance the expectations of leadership. This role will report to the Senior Director of NPR Events and Strategic Initiatives and works closely with both the NPR Events team and the How I Built This editorial team to oversee and manage all aspects of the Summit with internal and external stakeholders.
How I Built This is a weekly podcast and radio program about innovators, entrepreneurs and idealists, and their personal stories about how they got to where they are. The show, hosted by Guy Raz, is a narrative journey marked by triumphs, failures, serendipity and insight. The audience for How I Built This is a highly-engaged community for the entrepreneurial-minded: company founders, lovers of innovation, and people who are passionate about creating new ideas and watching them grow. It’s a tribe of builders and makers who are eager to exchange ideas, advice, and encouragement with fellow builders. Since its launch in 2016, How I Built This remains one of NPR’s most popular podcasts, with more than one million downloads a week, and can be heard on nearly 300 public radio stations nationwide.
NPR is committed to meeting our audience wherever they are, and the Project Manager for the How I Built This Summit is a vital part of that mission.
• Create, oversee and execute the overall event strategy for the How I Built This Summit
• Manage all projects related to the Summit including overseeing and tracking the budget, the newsletter, mobile app and website
• Manage all content programming tracks of the Summit including all communications with the talent
• Maintain clear lines of communication with internal and external Summit stakeholders
• Collaborate with cross-departmental teams on creating all of the content for the Summit
• Other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree in a liberal arts discipline or a Bachelor’s degree in business (or the equivalent combination of education and experience)
• At least 3-5 years experience managing large scale events and conferences for a major news or media organization
• At least 3 years experience managing a team of people overseeing multi-platform projects
• Strong communication skills
• Strong writing skills
• Strong budget management skills
• Proficiency with navigating a variety of content management systems including Salesforce
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
• Ability to document internal processes and analyze audience data
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing priorities/conditions
• Ability to both work independently and collaborate with others
• Critical Thinking
• Quality Decision Making
• Managing Complexity
• Managing Stakeholder Relationships
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.