Producer I, II, III - National Desk
NPRCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Works with editors and reporters on the National Desk to plan and produce stories, mix pieces and help gather tape and other material necessary for coverage. The primary role of this job is to facilitate national coverage – responding to breaking news, producing daily news assignments, mixing pieces for radio air, providing materials for online publication in addition to field producing and off-air reporting for enterprise or feature stories. This position involves extensive travel.
• Supports reporters and editors in daily and longer-term news coverage
• Travels to breaking news to produce, provide technical support, coordinate logistics and coverage.
• Edits and mixes audio elements of radio stories to produce broadcast-ready pieces that meet highest standards for quality, balance, and storytelling composition
• Gathers material and information -- “off-air” reporting
• Consults with National Desk and member station reporters on audio training and production ideas
• Contributes pitches and ideas to daily National Desk coverage meetings
• Assists reporters in the field with booking and planning interviews, travel and logistics, logging tape and conducting interviews
• Prepares and presents reports and program segments
• Works with show producers to ensure radio pieces and elements are ready for air
• Assists remote reporters with gathering tape and materials for stories from NPR West/Culver City and other sources
• Works with digital editors to make sure copy, photographs and other materials are available for publication.
• Produces original material for air or online, including pieces, “audio postcards”, blog posts, etc. as needed or assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree.
Minimum Requirements for Producer I:
• At least six years’ experience in journalism, including direct experience producing high quality radio journalism.
• Experience working on tight deadline and working independently.
• Familiarity with sophisticated audio editing and producing software and techniques.
• Experience with field and studio recording techniques.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
Minimum requirements for Producer II: Requirements of Producer I, plus:
• At least 10 years’ experience in journalism including direct experience producing high quality radio journalism
• Demonstrated experience responding to major breaking news stories
• Experience in long-form journalism and complex audio mixing and production abilities
• Familiarity with online and digital journalism platforms, tools, reporting and production
• Demonstrated expertise in all aspects of broadcast journalism – reporting, voicing, editing, producing full radio pieces, live interviews, use of microphones, recorders, computers and telecommunication transmissions via ISDN lines, satellite phones and/or Internet.
Additional Requirements for Producer I, II, or III:
• Experience producing stories on national news issues.
• Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.