Producer, All Things Considered
Full Time Job
All Things Considered seeks an experienced production journalist to play a leading role running the flagship afternoon show in the evenings, and to help shape the show’s coverage of news and feature stories into the next day. You will work closely with ATC Managers to determine coverage for later feeds and beyond. The successful candidate will work an evening shift from early afternoon until the last feed of the program ends at 10pm.
• Makes key decisions on updates to later feeds of the program
• Initiates, plans and produces program material for next day and future shows
• Edits tape and writes copy with minimal supervision and direction
• Must be comfortable in studio setting and able to direct and work with hosts and reporters remotely
• Must be flexible to work evening rotation a minimum of three months at a time and dayside shift as required
• Occasionally may be assigned to work in the field; planning, executing and traveling with reporters and hosts while producing key stories
• Performs other duties as assigned
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent work experience.
• At least five to eight years of experience as a reporter, editor, or producer
• Experience working on a live, daily news show
• Experience producing live and breaking coverage
• Expertise in producing features
• At least two years of experience in editorial decision-making
• Well-developed curiosity in a wide range of subjects
• Ability and willingness to work flexible hours
• Maintains internal relationships with other members of the daily program staff and works with the evening editorial staff on the News Desk
• Experience assigning staff, especially under deadline pressure
• Demonstrated ability to generate and execute complex creative ideas, to assimilate and organize large amounts of information
• Strong oral communication skills
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer
• Expertise in writing, copy-editing, headline writing and audio production
• Experience writing and editing under breaking news conditions
• Experience and skill with Web publishing software
• Experience producing on digital audio workstations
• Prior HTML skills
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.