Full Time Job
The Director oversees all aspects of NPR’s and NPM’s Payroll Operations. Oversees time and attendance and payroll processes, procedures and standards and develops strategies for continuous improvement in payroll operations.
Essential duties include:
• Creates and maintains a payroll policies and procedures guide for the organization.
• Directs timely and accurate calculation and processing of biweekly payroll for approximately 1,200 full-time, part-time, exempt, non-exempt, temporary, domestic and international employees, consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws.
• Directs and complies with state and federal tax withholding filings, social security taxes, and ensures payment of same. Performs timely reconciliations of same and resolves discrepancies.
• Work with Accounting and payroll vendor to ensure bank funding of payroll, direct deposits and/or live pay checks.
• Ensure timely and accurate third-party payments, i.e. employer social security, unemployment, worker’s compensation, retirement contributions, union dues and wage attachments.
• Hire, orient, train, supervise and develop payroll staff. Ensure redundant, backup capabilities are in place.
• Demonstrates a proficient understanding of payroll systems and software.
• Ensures payroll systems (Kronos Time & Attendance, UltiPro Web Portal Payroll etc.) are set-up, updated and maintained to reflect current employee base and pay groups, wages and compensation, benefits, time accruals and union rules.
• Ensures time and attendance and labor distribution information is accurately imported into payroll system (UltiPro).
• Ensures that payroll expenses are accurately exported into the company accounting records and systems (Microsoft General Dynamics).
• Actively communicate with HR Operations and Benefits to ensure timely and accurate payroll processing of new hires, temporary workers, transfers, promotions, pay changes, exemption changes, location and address changes, benefits and/or insurance changes and terminations.
• Actively communicate with HR Operations and Benefits to ensure accurate time accruals and benefit deductions.
• Supports management bargaining group with historical and projected financial and statistical information and models for negotiation of union contracts.
• Prepares and files reports that compile summaries of earnings and non-taxable wages, taxes, deductions, disability, leave accruals and more.
• Directs accurate and timely preparation and distribution of year-end tax forms (W-2s) to all employees and file same with IRS.
• Supports all internal and external audits related to payroll.
• Timely investigates, resolves and remediates all payroll discrepancies.
• Stays informed of and adheres to key dates and deadlines.
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by studying and interpreting existing and new laws and legislation, attending training workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks and participating in professional societies.
Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related field.
Minimum knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• 8 years payroll experience for a large, multi-location organization. Practical knowledge of government regulations, payroll policies, procedures and standards, and computerized payroll systems required.
• Certified Payroll Professional designation a plus.
• Experience in developing and managing compensation and wage and time and attendance processes and standards.
• Experience in the media industry a plus.
• Experience with a unionized workforce and ability to interpret union contracts preferred.
• Experience with UltiPro Web Payroll and Kronos Time & Attendance systems preferred.
• Proficiency using Microsoft Office software, in particular Excel.
• Solid financial acumen.
• Excellent analytical, problem solving, quantitative, mathematical, data entry management and communications skills.
• Demonstrated management and supervision of staff.
• Must possess planning and organizational skills.
• Precise attention to details.
• Must be able to handle sensitive personal information about staff while maintaining complete privacy and confidentiality.
• Must be a team player who is able to work effectively and collaboratively with HR Operations and Benefits, Finance, Legal and others.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at our website and on Twitter.