News Apps Developer
Full Time Job
NPR Visuals is looking for a civic-minded technical leader and developer to join our team. You will write software that matters, inspire our team, and work in close collaboration with the fantastic reporters and editors in our newsroom.
Our team is composed of developers, designers, photo and video journalists. You will have to work quickly in a dynamic environment. Making software on deadlines is difficult -- there's no room for cruft and little margin for error. You will encounter new problems every day and will wear many hats, as a data wrangler, web developer, innovator, architect, etc. We are always open to new tools and teammates who bring experience with different technologies and disciplines.
• Translate editorial goals into sustainable applications and infrastructure.
• Work with developers and designers on our team, as well as reporters and editors throughout the newsroom, to design and build NPR’s news coverage.
• Maintain up-to-date technical documentation using consistent and reusable practices.
• Provide leadership and coaching to teammates and colleagues.
• Troubleshoots and analyzes system problems and looks for areas of improvement with existing and new applications.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• A minimum of 5 years of industry or related experience
• Experience with Python and familiarity with Python web frameworks such as Flask or Django and Fabric.
• Familiarity with Amazon Web Services and provisioning AWS resources using the console, CLI and API.
• Comfort developing across the full stack of a web application. You might be a stronger backend developer, but you must also be able to write code that runs in a browser.
• Experience developing software projects using the Git version control system.
• Adaptability to work across different/new technology stacks
• Solid news judgment. You can think of software in terms of the information needs of the audience.
All applications must include a resume, cover letter and Github profile to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at our website and on Twitter.