Manager - Digital Audio Marketing
Full Time Job
National Public Media is a subsidiary of NPR, owned in partnership with PBS and WGBH, the largest producer in public television. As the corporate sponsorship sales team for all NPR network programs, NPR and PBS stations, National Public Media works with companies across a variety of categories and objectives to generate support for the public broadcasting system, while delivering breakthrough results for sponsors.
The Marketing team provides strategy and support to National Public Media’s sponsorship teams in a dynamic and demanding media environment while executing B2B marketing strategies to build awareness, understanding and consideration of NPR sponsorship in market. Led by the Senior Director of Marketing, Marketing collaborates with teams across the country to achieve ambitious revenue goals. We are a fast-paced team with lofty vision, creative drive and collaborative spirits.
The Manager, Digital Audio Marketing is responsible for the B2B marketing strategy around National Public Media’s suite of digital audio properties, including podcasts, smart speakers/voice assistants, NPR One and NPR App and custom audio offerings from NPM Creative. With a deep knowledge of the competitive landscape, the Manager will work on materials and package development pre-sale; collaborate with National Public Media and NPR senior leadership to identify positioning, strategies and tactics to drive industry awareness and interest in sponsorship opportunities; and elevate NPR and NPM’s thought leadership in digital audio. The Manager will be responsible for helping educate the company on digital audio trends as they relate to platform, product and marketing advances.
This position reports to the Senior Manager, Marketing and Communications of National Public Media (NPM).
Essential Duties Include:
• Lead oversight of NPM’s digital audio sponsorship marketing efforts bringing efficiency, strategy and visibility to this growing revenue line
• Collaborate with teams across NPM and NPR to design cross-platform sponsorship packages around digital audio opportunities including program and product launches, special releases and more
• Support the development of sales presentations and proposals related to NPR’s digital audio sponsorship opportunities
• Produce and manage marketing materials showcasing the value proposition of sponsorship across digital audio properties
• Work with teams across NPM and NPR to identify, develop, execute and evaluate strategies for raising visibility of NPR digital audio among brands and agencies (i.e. campaigns, participation in industry events, press, content marketing, etc.)
• Proactively seek, identify, execute and evaluate innovative opportunities for digital audio lead acquisition and client cultivation, including activation of industry events and creative, out-of-the box tactics, working in close collaboration with the Sr. Director of Marketing and Sr. Manager, Marketing & Communications
• Establish relationships with key partners at NPR – across Podcast, News/Programming, NPR One, Digital Media and Marketing teams – to serve as a vital liaison to NPM about upcoming priorities, initiatives and programs that may offer opportunities for sponsorship and to NPR about revenue possibilities around developing digital audio initiatives and market trends
• Build relationships with industry peers and partners to identify opportunities for collaboration
• Anticipate and identify market trends in digital audio and work to quickly incorporate them into our strategies, sponsorship offerings, and resources / education for sales representatives
• Develop model for strategic promotion to reps and potential sponsors before, during and after program launches, employing all available and relevant Marketing channels (website, Cheat Sheet, industry events, etc.), identifying opportunities to leverage new properties and timely pegs
• Develop systems for tracking effectiveness of all digital audio sales marketing tactics and develop impact reports and recommendations for NPM leadership
• Partner with NPR Research to refine digital audio audience profiles and further expand the narrative around the digital audio consumer in market, including through the development of original research projects that extend NPR/NPM’s reputation as thought leaders
• Work closely with Manager, Operations & Research on ongoing management of the National Public Media website with a specific focus on digital audio
• Represent National Public Media at client and agency meetings to present new opportunities and brainstorm new sponsorship extensions
In this fast-paced media environment, we value agility, assertiveness, and analytical and creative-thinking skills. The ideal candidate has an aptitude for learning and a demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative environment. Specific qualifications outlined below:
• Minimum of five years of specific experience in marketing, advertising, digital audio, or media
• Experience with audio, digital audio, podcast and/or media industry preferred
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail in all projects and assignments
• Experience with event activation and strategy is a plus
• Ability to communicate effectively through a variety of methods, including but not limited to: email, internet-based applications for internal and external communications
• Ability to effectively and emphatically build and maintain relationships with people at all levels of an organization, across a diverse range of cultural, generational, ethnic, racial, educational and social backgrounds
• Ability to efficiently think, plan and execute on multiple projects simultaneously
• Experience working with Salesforce, Pardot, Wordpress, HTML, SEO, Google Analytics, Adobe Creative Suite, Moat and research databases like GfK MRI and comScore is a plus
• Ideal candidate is ambitious, curious, kind and brings integrity to the role
• Affinity for public media and/or purpose-driven brands is a plus
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities on our website and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.