Executive Producer, Weekend
This was removed by the employer on 12/26/2018 5:44:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the Crew Category
Browse the Radio Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Executive Producer, Weekend jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Executive Producer, Weekend postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire an Executive Producer, Weekend? Executive Producer, Weekend All Things Considered
Weekend All Things Considered is NPR’s influential, agenda-setting weekend evening news magazine. Each broadcast offers stories and reports from NPR correspondents based throughout the United States and the world. The host interviews newsmakers and contributes reporting of their own.
As head of this vibrant news magazine program, you will produce a show where ideas matter and smart content is the goal. You will lead and inspire a talented team of journalists creating unique and unforgettable stories, not only for the radio but for all of NPR’s platforms.
The ideal candidate for this position combines superlative journalism, extensive experience leading and programming a broadcast news show, with an ability to think creatively about the role of audio storytelling in a rapidly changing digital universe.
This role reports directly to the Vice President, News Programming and Operations.
Supervise planning and production for morning news magazine and podcast.
• Establish editorial vision for Weekend All Things Considered.
• Lead by example; inspire staff to produce consistently compelling, engaging and creative programming.
• She or he should develop a digital social strategy that uses Weekend All Things Considered staff, journalism and audience to drive NPR news strategy.
• Ensure that all material aired meets NPR standards and practices, including standards of fairness, completeness, independence and impartiality.
• Create and monitor efficiency of production schedules.
• Partner with other NPR departments, including editorial desks, Marketing, Member Partnership, Legal, Development, Sponsorship and Human Resources.
• Build editorial connections with NPR Member Station newsrooms.
• Manage and monitor annual budgets for radio program.
Hire and supervise the staff of Weekend All Things Considered.
• Develop staff via performance management including: goal setting, annual appraisals, regular coaching and performance discussions.
• Ensure that show staffing, story content, and sources reflect diversity goals of NPR.
• Establish chain of responsibility to distribute duties and establish accountability for all phases of Weekend All Things Considered production.
• Hire, coach, and develop the talent on best in class competencies and skillsets to meet the goals of the organization.
• Maintain working knowledge of NPR policies and provisions of applicable collective bargaining agreement. Work with appropriate resources to address personnel and union issues.
Monitor Weekend All Things Considered, providing verbal and written critiques.
• Lead critical discussions about Weekend All Things Considered with show staff and Senior News Leadership team.
• Understand the program’s performance on Member Stations, the program’s current and potential audiences, and NPR’s competitive environment.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience
• Minimum of 8 years’ national broadcast journalism experience, in roles of increasing responsibility.
• Deep understanding of NPR programming across platforms and commitment to the mission of NPR.
• 5-7 years of experience supervising editors and producers.
• Considerable knowledge of basic and advanced principles of broadcast and digital media.
• Experience overseeing work in social media and multimedia.
• Proven success managing within a union environment.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES & SKILLS:
• An interpersonal style that empowers and builds collaboration among diverse teams, and supports participation, accountability and support of NPR’s mission.
• Demonstrated ability to focus collaborative efforts on the achievement of agreed outcomes within finite timeframes and budgets.
• A positive approach to embracing change; uses flexibility, creativity, and a good sense of humor to influence appropriately.
• Well-developed interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with diverse personalities in a high-stress environment.
• Results-oriented with the ability to balance other business initiatives and projects.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at our website and on Twitter. This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.