Diversity & Inclusion Manager
Full Time Job
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
We are looking for a dynamic leader and trainer to help NPR reach and serve a fuller, more diverse audience with content that looks and sounds more like America. Working with the Chief Diversity Officer, in collaboration with teams in Human Resources and NPR Training, the DEI Manager will help design, implement and evaluate organization-wide efforts to build diversity in content and staffing, and support our efforts to diversify our audience while creating a workplace culture where everyone can grow and thrive.
The DEI Manager will lead and support projects across all departments at NPR and play a key role in helping the network’s 260-plus Member stations as they work toward similar goals. We’re looking for someone with a broad understanding of diversity challenges across a complex company and a strong desire to help one of the nation’s best news and culture organizations to better serve our ever-more-diverse public.
• Support our top goal of attracting younger, more diverse audiences to NPR’s content by serving as an internal consultant to the Newsroom, Programming and Marketing divisions on ongoing and future projects
• Collaborate with the Chief Diversity Officer and HR leaders to create and/or track relevant metrics to measure NPR’s DEI progress
• Partner with NPR’s Human Resources division on programs that will further the hiring, retention and development of diverse talent pipelines, including the Public Media Village, a system-wide recruiting collaborative
• Work closely with NPR Training to create and deliver diversity-related training, and help with such companywide programs as mentorship, unconscious bias and leadership
• Partner with Human Resources to support Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), helping these diverse teams meet their goals and make NPR a better place to work.
• Consult directly with stations – individually and in groups – that seek help in designing diversity strategies or securing training for their staffs
• Direct and support Newsroom and Programming efforts to bring greater diversity to sources across all content platforms
• Provide one-on-one coaching to managers and staff across all divisions in support of their diversity efforts and concerns
• When possible and appropriate, attend conferences and other events as an NPR representative, advancing our DEI efforts to increase staff diversity internally and across the public media system
EDUCATION: Minimum education experience, required or preferred. Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
• 5 years of professional experience in Diversity, Equity & Inclusion or equivalent work
• Demonstrated understanding of the work of journalists and the demands of a newsroom
• Experience in leading and effectively delivering large-scale projects
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively while also working autonomously in a fast-paced work environment
• Ability to travel up to 25% of the time when appropriate
• Strong analytical skills – ability to understand, interpret and communicate analyses
• Demonstrated reliability, discretion, good judgment and ethical behavior
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop effective relationships
• Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
• Passion for personal accountability, achievement, learning and continuous improvement
• Advanced skills in MS Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.)
• Specific experience leading anti-racism, anti-discrimination training
• Fluency across social media platforms
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.