Digital Production Engineer
Full Time Job
Digital Production Engineer (Temporary)
This position is a one year role.
We are looking for a talented and knowledgeable Production Engineer with some scripting experience: someone skilled in and passionate about media management, server, network and storage infrastructure as well as automation. We are looking for a person who learns fast and can figure things out independently—can show us a better way of managing, monitoring and continuously deploying complex systems to the cloud.
Essential Duties Include:
• Manage all systems supported by the production team by performing server builds, patch management, virtual machine management, virus scanning, etc.
• Install, maintain and monitor equipment, which may include network and server infrastructure, end user computer infrastructure, application systems and database systems
• Encode audio and video into multiple file formats for digital distribution using enterprise level encoding software.
• Deliver encoded audio and video content to NPR digital archive servers and 3rdparty content delivery network(s).
• Facilitate the streaming and recording of audio on npr.org, member station sites and 3rdparty content partners for live breaking news coverage, concerts and other events.
• Monitor and maintain NPR digital audio and video archives and transference of the files.
• Troubleshoot issues related to digital media encoding, streaming and media file distribution systems.
• Recommend and implement changes to the overall system and network environments through following an institutionalized change management process
• Respond to critical system issues on a 24x7x365 basis
• Document processes, procedures, instructions, and training materials for users and IT colleagues
• Establish and manage relationships with consultants and vendors of production technologies
• Pursue expansion of knowledge of and skills in current and emerging production technologies
• Knowledge in application scripting, shell scripting, lightweight PHP and/or Perl scripting.
• Extensive experience administering a Linux environment.
• MySQL administration and troubleshooting experience
• Experience with clustered file system technologies such as Isilon, Gluster, etc
• Experience with TCP/IP networking technologies (routing, switching, Cisco, etc)
• Experience with content delivery networks such as Akamai and Limelight.
• Experience with cloud technologies such as AWS
• Solid track record of deploying and scaling redundant infrastructure
• Proven ability to write clear, concise documentation
• Cares greatly about automation and has little tolerance for repetitive manual work
• Knowledge of Cloud Computing
• Experience working with Enterprise encoding tools such as Telestream Vantage and FFMPEG
• Advanced scripting/programming chops.
• “Addiction” to building fault-tolerant, highly reliable systems.
• Knowledge of High Availability, Business Continuity, and Disaster Recovery concepts
• Project Management skills
• S. Degree
BA Degree or equivalent experience in production technologies critical for media distribution.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.