Full Time Job
Summary of Role / Responsibilities
NPR seeks an attorney with 5 to 10 years of transactional experience to support internal clients focused on digital distribution, programming, sponsorship, marketing, business development, audience measurement, operations, and live events. The successful candidate may also counsel clients on copyright and trademark matters, analyze proposed legislation, and assist with corporate governance. We are looking for a lawyer with superb oral and written communications skills, a commitment to client service, and solid business judgment. The lawyer who joins our team will review, negotiate, and draft complex agreements (often without precedent), helping NPR embrace business opportunities while managing risk and ensuring compliance with nonprofit tax law and regulatory requirements. An ability to manage multiple projects, set and adjust priorities, work under pressure, and maintain composure and a sense of humor while doing so are musts.
Depending on the experience of the successful candidate, responsibilities may include:
• Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts, including inbound and outbound content, music and other copyright licensing agreements, inbound and outbound technology licensing agreements, program acquisition and distribution agreements, services agreements, sponsorship agreements, insertion orders and other media-buy agreements, facilities and live event-related agreements, agreements governing the distribution of content via satellite or over digital platforms, agreements with research and data analytics service providers, employment and personal services agreements, and the like;
• Advising legal and business colleagues on a broad range of subjects, including trademark law and portfolio management, copyright law, digital media law, communications law, privacy and data security law, nonprofit tax law, charitable fundraising, marketing and agency representation, sponsorship and advertising issues, sweepstakes and promotions law, and IT and telecom services;
• Assisting with regulatory compliance and advocacy efforts relating to legislative and regulatory developments, including analyzing proposed legislation and regulations, preparing internal memoranda, and drafting agency comments;
• Preparing board meeting agendas, minutes and other materials, and providing advice on corporate governance matters.
• At least 5 years of relevant experience
• Bar membership in good standing in the District of Columbia, or eligibility to waive into the DC Bar
• Experience drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts is required
• Experience advising advertising and marketing agencies and in-house sales organizations is preferred
• Experience representing tax-exempt organizations is a plus
When applying, please include a resume and a cover letter. We will begin reviewing resumes on November 1 and will continue to accept applications until the position is filled. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.