Full Time Job
Supports all financial operations of four divisions including Programming, Music, Digital Media and Member Partnership. Provide management and analysis of the divisions’ annual budgets, monthly forecasts, quarterly business reviews and special projects.
Works under the supervision of the Senior Director, Financial Planning & Analysis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Forecast & Budgeting
• Develops and manages the annual operating and Capex budgets for ~four divisions, Programming, Music, Digital Media and Member Partnership, with an operating budget of ~$53 million comprised of ~35 cost centers and a $600K capital budget.
• Oversees Divisions’ conformity to budget and advises the executive leadership, Senior Manager of Finance and the Chief Finance Officer of variances from plan, monthly and quarterly.
• Collaborates with all levels of organizational management, including executive leadership and senior directors to develop financial plans to support division and company goals and strategic initiatives.
• Provides analysis and trending, leads budgeting/forecasting processes, and advises management on financial matters and recommends financial solutions.
• Develops and prepares financial models and reports, business narratives and presentations as required. Serves as liaison between Divisions and Finance/Budget.
• Builds and maintains positive, productive relationships with clients to support accurate reporting and to enhance services and reporting provided to clients.
• Identifies and communicates risks and opportunities to Senior Director of Financial Planning & Analysis, Chief Finance Officer, and Senior Leadership.
Special projects & analysis
• Prepares dedicated P Ls for new projects and investment areas and performs scenario analysis for proposed investments.
• Identifies efficiencies and opportunities to improve financial processes and reporting.
• Conduct ad-hoc analysis as requested.
• Performs other assignments as assigned by the Director, Financial Planning & Analysis.
• Analyzes expenses of various types for reasonableness and classification including prepaids, maintenance contracts, one-time expenses, travel and depreciation.
• Analyzes budget, forecast and year-over-year variances on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis and works with Accounting to ensure completeness and accuracy of actuals.
• Advises the Finance team and division heads on ways to manage costs and reorganize, and keeps managers apprised of financial performance on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
• Provides guidance for divisions on check request submissions, procurement, and creating and managing reference codes. Assists in month-end closing process through preparation and submission of journal entries, reconciliation of liability accounts, and open PO validation.
• Calculating, processing and managing program payments according to contractual terms, and reconcile the Acquired Program Account with accounting. Ensure that monthly accruals are in line with total year estimated costs.
• Serves as liaison between Accounting and divisions to communicate adherence to procedures and policy changes.
• Works in conjunction with Department Heads to understand business priorities and ensure alignment of budget and forecasts with strategic priorities.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize projects in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
Bachelor’s degree in business, MBA preferred.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Five to seven years of financial/budget management including a solid understanding of the principles and practices of accounting, auditing, and financial reporting.
• Expertise in the use of spreadsheet software and other computer skills. Must be highly numerate and be able to work in a fast paced environment on short deadlines.
• Possess good problem-solving skills and be able to craft and analyze options and make specific recommendations that enhance the company’s overall objectives and goals Follow-through is a given in day-to-day business matters.
• Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strives for continuous improvement and has a strong work ethic.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at our website and on Twitter.