Associate Producer, Science Desk / Podcast
Full Time Job
Are you highly curious? Do you have the metabolism for daily journalism and an ear for audio storytelling? If you’re answering ‘yes’, to both of these questions, you may be the person we are looking for to help us launch a brand new daily podcast this spring.
This smart, fun, short-form podcast - from NPR’s Science Desk - tells listeners something they probably didn’t know in a few minutes. This will be short-form, digital-first content that reaches listeners where they are, whether it’s on smart speakers, new audio-on-demand choices in cars or your favorite podcast app.
We’re looking for a producer who will use sound in unexpected ways, pitch smart angles and help develop the format and shape the content. Consider joining a fun, talented, award-winning science team telling stories in new ways on new platforms to reach listeners where they are.
• Develop formats for a new short-form podcast.
• Suggest and book NPR reporters and scientists for interviews.
• Find and produce original story ideas on a tight deadline.
• Track down audio of all kinds for use.
• Mix podcast episodes.
• Help to write web and social media posts.
• Think strategically about audience development and execute the strategy.
• Perform other duties as assigned. Meeting deadlines is important.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
• At least 3 years of journalism or audio production experience.
• Audio editing experience.
• Ability to meet a tight deadline and balance multiple assignments at once.
• Demonstrated experience in finding and interviewing sources and, ideally booking guests for a podcast, radio or TV show or equivalent experience.
• Ability and willingness to relocate. NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Background, or interest, in science.
• Reporting experience.
• Quality-Decision Making
• Critical Thinking Skills
• Problem-Solving Skills
• Attention to Detail
• Results Driven
• Managerial Courage
• Manages Complexity
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at our website and on Twitter.