Assistant Producer, It's Been A Minute Podcast
NPRCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
It’s Been a Minute with Sam Sanders is a podcast and radio show heard weekly by more than 900,000 people. The show is new and still growing. Sam wraps up every week with a group of panelists, and conducts long from interviews with actors, writers, and musicians. His curiosity and empathy have built a strong connection with listeners. Now we’re looking for someone to help us grow and think about new directions for the show.
You devour news and pop culture. You talk about it all with your friends, and are always asking questions about the world. You are a creative producer with new ideas about audio. You can cut tape, book, write, produce, and do it all quickly.
This job is based in Los Angeles, CA.
The Assistant Producer brings audio and editorial experience to the team. They work on all aspects of show production.
• Researches and pitches ideas for interviews and segments.
• Conducts research and assists in arranging interviews.
• Prepares questions and approaches to host interviews.
• Pre-interviews guests and prepares research material for host.
• Edits host interviews, archive audio, and actualities.
• Prepares scripts and other materials as required.
• Works with hosts, producers, and others in arranging for related elements to complete or supplement a piece.
• Writes creative copy.
• Compiles all elements of program for final mix.
• Distributes mixes to all programming platforms (radio, podcast, digital).
• Produces social media content.
• Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• At least 3-5 years’ experience in broadcasting or podcasting.
• At least 3-5 years’ experience in news journalism.
• At least 3-5 years’ journalism-related research, with the ability to collect, organize and disseminate information.
• Ability to work with a diverse team and be able to anticipate the needs of the host.
• Ability to have effective communication and planning detailed logistics.
• Demonstrated ability to edit and produce audio within tight deadlines.
• Thorough knowledge of research tools, including computer access data banks.
• Demonstrated writing ability.
• Experience producing in and operating digital audio self-op facilities
• Strong digital media skills, including proficiency in social media as both a newsgathering technique and, especially, as a way to distribute content.
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time; ability to prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Proven ability to consistently work as part of a team, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations.
PREFERRED SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
• Familiarity with It’s Been a Minute with Sam Sanders
• Able to deal with Ambiguity
• Learning Agility
• Managing Complexity
• Managing Stakeholder relationships
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.