Assistant General Counsel
Full Time Job
Summary of Role / Responsibilities
NPR seeks an attorney with 10 to 15 years of transactional experience (with an emphasis on agreements relating to technology and intellectual property) to support internal clients focused on distribution of content via satellite and via mobile and other digital platforms, programming, audience research and measurement, content preservation and archiving, live events, facilities and operations, and data analysis and research in support of NPR’s reporting.
We are looking for a lawyer with superb oral and written communication skills, a commitment to client service, solid business judgment, and the ability to build strong, collaborative relationships internally and externally. The lawyer who joins our team will review, negotiate, and draft complex agreements (often without precedent), helping NPR embrace business opportunities while managing risk and ensuring compliance with nonprofit tax law and regulatory requirements. An ability to manage multiple projects, set and adjust priorities, work under pressure, and maintain composure and a sense of humor while doing so are musts.
• Providing legal counsel to NPR departments on a wide range of legal issues, including issues related to digital technology, distribution of content via satellite and over digital platforms, preservation and use of archived content, open source software, and intellectual property protection;
• Structuring, drafting, reviewing, negotiating, and analyzing a broad range of complex and sophisticated agreements, with a focus on technology and intellectual property transactions (such as inbound and outbound licenses for content, purchase and sale agreements for hardware and other equipment, software and technology licensing agreements, services agreements, and complex satellite distribution hardware agreements), program acquisition and distribution agreements, facilities and live events agreements, and agreements with research and data analytics service providers;
• Managing risk and ensuring compliance with nonprofit tax law and regulatory requirements; and
• Leading and directing the work of others, including supervision and mentoring of junior attorneys, paralegals, administrative staff, legal fellows, interns, and outside counsel.
• At least 10 years of relevant experience in positions of increasing responsibility.
• Bar membership in good standing in the District of Columbia or eligibility to waive into the DC Bar.
• Strong transactional background, with experience reviewing, negotiating, and drafting complex agreements involving technology and intellectual property is required.
• Interest and background in the business of broadcasting, journalism, or media is preferred.
• Experience representing tax-exempt organizations is a plus.
Please include a resume and a cover letter. We will begin reviewing resumes on December 15 and will continue to accept applications until the position is filled. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.