Senior Counsel, Business and Legal Affairs - Viacom Media Networks
NickelodeonNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Viacom is home to premier global media brands that create compelling entertainment content - including television programs, motion pictures, short-form content, games, consumer products, podcasts, live events and social media experiences - for audiences in 183 countries. Viacom's media networks, including Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., MTV, BET, Comedy Central, Paramount Network, VH1, TV Land, CMT, Logo, Channel 5 (UK), Telefe (Argentina), Colors (India) and Paramount Channel, reach approximately 4.3 billion cumulative television subscribers worldwide.
The Viacom Media Networks’ (VMN) team that provides day-to-day business and legal affairs services for MTV, VH1 and Logo is looking for a sharp, highly motivated professional to join our team. With a focus on development and production for long form series programming, both scripted and unscripted, you will be directly involved in all legal aspects of the production process. We are considering candidates at the Counsel and Senior Counsel level.
In this role, you will handle the negotiation and drafting of a heavy volume of fast-paced production matters for in-house and third-party productions. To successfully execute these tasks, you will have a working knowledge of intellectual property law, including Copyright and Trademark, Rights of Publicity, and employment law issues as well as possess the ability to learn quickly and develop a deep understanding of VMN's company policies in connection therewith. Your key internal partners include our Production Management, Programming, Talent, Publicity, Music & Media Licensing, Labor & Employment, Risk Management, Pre-Broadcast Content Review, Intellectual Property & Litigation, Marketing and Ad Sales departments. Your responsibilities also include the development and direct supervision of a department Assistant. You will report to the Senior Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs.
Primary duties will include:
• You negotiate and draft production agreements (e.g., production services agreements, joint promotion agreements, talent, venue and location releases).
• You provide guidance and expertise on a broad range of production related legal matters.
• Provide mentorship and training for junior level personnel.
• Build and maintain positive relationships with business group executives.
• You manage legal kick-off calls and coordinate the distribution of agreements to third party production companies.
• Oversee contract administration and compliance, reviewing and approving legal contracts for execution by management.
• You contribute to the execution of special projects as requested by senior business and legal affairs executives.
• You are present to provide on-site coverage for original programming when necessary.
• Perform other day-to-day business and legal affairs-related tasks as needed and as assigned by senior business and legal affairs executives.
• Juris Doctorate Degree required.
• A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience (Counsel level) or 4 years of relevant experience (Senior Counsel level) at a network, studio, entertainment law firm or production company.
• Deep knowledge of television industry agreements, contract law and intellectual property rights, proven ability to conduct legal research, analysis and reasoning.
• Excellent drafting, negotiation, communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational and computer skills.
• Shown ability to effectively negotiate and interact with agents, managers and outside attorneys.
• Ability to work independently, multi-task under pressure, and manage a high-volume workload efficiently.
• The Business and Legal Affairs department is a collaborative team and the ideal new team members will have a cooperative and positive spirit.