Counsel, Business and Legal Affairs - Nickelodeon
NickelodeonNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Nickelodeon, now in its 39th year, is the number-one entertainment brand for kids. We have built a diverse, global business by putting kids first in everything we do. Our television network is seen in more than 90 million households and has been the number-one-rated kids’ basic cable network for 22 consecutive years includes original television programming and production around the world, plus consumer products, digital, recreation, books and feature films.
Join our Nickelodeon Business and Legal Affairs as Counsel to provide day-to-day legal and business affairs services for all Nickelodeon content, with a focus on live action and animated series talent and original, live action scripted development and production, across various lines of business. You will handle a heavy volume of talent, development, production-related matters relating to both in-house and third-party productions for both scripted and unscripted programming and work closely with the networks’ Development and Production Management teams and other departments (including Programming, Talent, Publicity, Music & Media Licensing, Labor & Employment, Risk Management, Pre-Broadcast Content Review, Intellectual Property & Litigation, Marketing, Ad Sales, and Accounting/Finance). This position will be located in New York, NY and reports to the VPs, Business and Legal Affairs, Nickelodeon.
Primary duties will include:
• Structuring, drafting and negotiating talent, development and production agreements (e.g., series performer, rights acquisition, producer, writer, and production services agreements, venue and location releases, etc.)
• Performing and/or supervising day-to-day legal production work for presentations, pilots, specials and series
• Counseling in-house client groups (including Development, Production and Marketing teams) on variety of legal issues, deal-making strategies and corporate policies
• Managing all types of production-related legal matters (including intellectual property, union, contracts, music, regulatory and employment law issues)
• Reviewing and approving legal contracts for execution by management
• Overseeing contract administration and compliance
• Researching relevant legal issues
• Providing risk assessments for production-related matters
• Advising and communicating with various other departments within Viacom Media Networks regarding exploitation of original programming across all media platforms
• Performing other day-to-day business and legal affairs-related tasks as needed and assigned by senior business and legal affairs executives.
• Member of New York Bar or eligible for In-house Counsel
• 3 years of relevant experience at a network, studio, entertainment law firm or production company.
• Substantive working knowledge of television industry agreements, major union agreements (WGA, DGA, SAG-AFTRA, etc.), contract law and intellectual property rights (as applicable to the entertainment industry), along with demonstrated capability for legal research, analysis and reasoning
• Excellent drafting, negotiation, communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational and computer skills
• Scripted TV experience strongly preferred
• Well-versed in entertainment industry (preferably in scripted TV) customs and practices and possess demonstrated ability to effectively negotiate and interact with agents, managers and outside attorneys.
• Ability to work independently, multi-task under pressure, and manage a varied, high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly.
• Partner with the Business & Legal Affairs department works as a team in a highly collaborative manner with a cooperative, positive, team-oriented spirit.