Senior Counsel, Content & Brand IP
Full Time Job
Senior Counsel, Content Brand IP (Europe)
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment with one simple goal: to bring people joy. Our international efforts have brought Netflix's service and award-winning Originals programming to viewers in over 190 countries.
To bring joy to global audiences, we need truly global content. That doesn't always come from Hollywood. So our content legal team is in search of an experienced IP attorney in Europe to handle a wide range of IP issues that arise from the creation of Netflix original content across Europe.
You will be the first Content IP lawyer outside of Los Angeles with a unique opportunity to launch (and eventually build!) a nimble team that will take the lead in Europe on things like rights acquisition, copyright, chain-of-title, title clearance, production clearance of content, IP enforcement, IP claims defense, moral rights, defamation, and trademarks. This role will closely collaborate with the creative, business, marketing and other legal teams that work together to create Netflix's great content.
As a seasoned entertainment IP attorney, the breadth of your experience enables you to handle any situation that may be encountered on a production. You've seen it all and aren't phased by the last minute surprises that inevitably arise when developing, shooting, or marketing a film, series or documentary. You expertly navigate those situations while allowing your studio colleagues to fulfill their creative and business goals. You understand the dynamics among showrunners, executive producers, line producers, finance, post-production, marketing and creative, and know when and how to align the appropriate teams when IP issue arise. You're comfortable evaluating risk with imperfect information and have the confidence to make quick decisions. Your expert eye for detail and exceptional organizational talents mean that you are able to improve upon systems to gain efficiency. You are passionate about the entertainment industry and are excited to learn more about the business from a non-traditional perspective. Above all, you have an opinion and are willing to voice it.
The successful candidate will love working in an environment where freedom, responsibility, and curiosity are mandates. That candidate will also thrive in an workplace that values thoughtful efficiency more than process, and innovation more than convention.
The role will report to Senior Counsel, Content and Brand IP based in Los Angeles. Frequent travel throughout Europe will be required, in addition to quarterly travel to California.
• Identify IP-related risks in our content and communicate them to the necessary stakeholders.
• Collaborate with business and legal affairs teams to acquire and develop IP, then shepherd it through production and distribution.
• Conduct and analyze trademark clearances, including multi-jurisdiction searches. Manage claims of IP infringement at the pre-litigation stage.
• Develop strong relationships with leading law firms that specialize in entertainment and IP and oversee their work.
• Create and implement production clearance strategies for European content.
• Rapidly respond to production clearance issues.
• Serve as internal, cross-functional expert on all areas of European IP law.
• 10 years of intellectual property law, including significant experience in the entertainment industry.
• An extensive network of contacts in the European media industry.
• Deep knowledge of filmed entertainment and the production process.
• Deep understanding of EU IP law, as well as IP law in one or more individual member states, including copyright, moral rights, fair use, rights of publicity/privacy, and freedom of speech.
• Experience managing heavy workflow independently.
• Experience building and managing teams.
• Outstanding communication skills and a bias toward creative thinking.
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
• Highly collaborative and responds positively to change and new ideas.
• Curious and eager to tackle matters outside area of expertise.
• Fluency in German or French a strong plus, but isn't required.
• Sense of humor!