Post Production Counsel
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
With over 130 million subscribers enjoying great content in over 190 countries, it is an exciting time to work at Netflix. To sustain our ambitious content efforts and build a truly global brand providing visually, auditorily, and technically stunning content, it is critical that we continue to innovate and find efficiencies in our internal workflows and with the wide array of post-production and media processing third-parties that contribute to our content.
We are therefore looking for an experienced transactional attorney to join the Content Legal group in Los Angeles as Counsel, Post-Production. The Counsel will work closely with the Post-Production department (numbering a couple hundred employees and an even greater array of external partners) to provide strategic advice, transactional support, and organizational efficiency. The Counsel will be responsible for providing legal and business guidance on the day-to-day issues that this department faces, being the primary legal thought partner for the heads of this department, and managing the legal relationships around the world with facilities that provide audio post-production services, visual post-production services (excluding VFX), media processing, file conformance, and editing services. This support will include: drafting master service agreements, statements of work, and other legal documents; liaising with vendors to gather information necessary for legal vetting; interfacing with vendors and internal stakeholders to define Netflix expectations, help resolve issues, and address contractual breaches; and conducting periodic reviews of vendor forms to ensure ongoing compliance with Netflix and legal requirements. The Counsel will also work cross-functionally with the many teams across our studio that make and use creative assets. Our aim is to find a resourceful attorney who can both support our business in current ways of working, and provide strategic thought partnership on innovative approaches and solutions.
The successful candidate will welcome the opportunity to be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial company and will exhibit fearlessness in execution. Such a candidate will thrive in an environment that values thoughtful efficiency over blind adherence to process. They will be equally comfortable engaging with large companies that have rigid ways of working and with smaller partners that may lack certain business experience.
This candidate must:
• be an attorney (JD or equivalent) familiar with filmed entertainment production, post-production, and the roles of the people that work in these fields;
• be familiar and comfortable with international business and cultures;
• possess outstanding contract drafting and negotiating skills;
• demonstrate substantive knowledge of contract law and IP law principles; and
• have strong organizational and project management skills, allowing many projects to keep moving simultaneously.
The successful candidate will also possess the following abilities and traits:
• the ability to maintain a team-oriented approach while also making independent decisions under tight deadlines with imperfect information;
• the ability to discern when ''process'' is an encumbrance and when it is an efficiency driver;
• a solution-oriented mindset;
• the willingness to tackle matters, and the capacity to contribute effectively, outside one's area of expertise;
• the willingness to adapt and embrace change with enthusiasm;
• the courage to challenge prevailing assumptions, and the insight to suggest better approaches;
• a knack for making connections that other miss; and
• a default approach that favors sharing information openly and proactively.