Music Contract Administrator
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment and changing the way more than 140 million subscribers around the world enjoy entertainment. Our international efforts have brought Netflix to virtually all countries and we're excited to bring even more of our Originals programming to our viewers around the globe. It's an exciting time to work at Netflix.
Our growing global Music Business & Legal Affairs Group is looking for a new member to join the team: a Music Contract Administrator who shares our passion for music and the entertainment industry to help support our expanding slate of Netflix Original content. Someone who seeks out and thrives in an environment where freedom and responsibility are a tenet, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates . A stunning and selfless colleague for whom no task is too small or insurmountable.
The Music Business & Legal Affairs Group is based in Los Angeles, London and Berlin and is responsible for all of Netflix's global music business affairs, legal affairs and strategy, from the production and licensing of Netflix Originals through to the distribution of the Netflix service globally. This role is based in our Los Angeles office and reports to the Music Contract Administrator who leads the Music Contract Administration team.
Netflix seeks an experienced Music Contract Administrator to help support our expanding slate of Original content (Series, Film, Documentary, Comedy, Unscripted, International and Kids & Family programming). This role will have broad responsibility for managing the tracking, organization, distribution and processing of a high volume of contracts and payments for the Music Team, from signature to distribution, archiving, processing and arranging for payment.
This is not your traditional Contract Administrator role: you will manage vital components of our music contract administration process, not just ''contract management,'' perform light contract review, and have visibility into all facets of our music business and the larger scope of Netflix's expansion. You will also be a key contributor to building and improving our studio workflows for music contract administration and will have a strong voice collaborating with the team to customize apps and online tools. If this sounds intriguing, read on for the details...
As a seasoned Music Contract Administrator, you know the ins-and-outs of the music industry, and its jargon is second nature to you. You know exactly what it takes to use music in a production, you understand the significance of master use and synchronization licenses and you know what a composer agreement and music supervisor agreement covers. Your organizational skills are unparalleled and, in your view, there is no contract detail that is too small or insignificant. Your expert eye for detail means you know how to review music agreements (be they master use or synchronization licenses, composer agreements, music supervisor agreements, producer or songwriter agreements) for the key information needed for contract administration purposes and flag any critical information that's missing. You recognize the value of using cloud-based apps to achieve scale and you are first to jump at the opportunity to innovate and find new solutions whenever possible.
Beyond the tactics you also understand the importance of relationships and communication and you are effective in both areas whether you are working with internal or external partners. Your exceptional organization talents mean that you're not fazed by a high volume of contracts and, in fact, you seek a role that provides an opportunity to learn more about the business and to take on more than traditional contract management responsibilities. If this sounds not only undaunting, but exciting, this is the role you've been looking for.
• Tracking, administering and processing music licenses and other music agreements, including composer and music supervisor agreements, from signature/countersignature to distribution, archiving and coordinating, including requesting and submitting invoices for payment.
• Overseeing and confirming legal deliverables with production teams for music deals and collaborating with the legal delivery teams to confirm and provide the same.
• Acting as internal - and external - point-of-contact for payment-related questions and licensing updates.
• Proactively reviewing and analyzing music agreements - and concisely articulating issues using business, legal, creative, production and financial context.
• Managing, maintaining, and updating various dashboards, document management and rights management databases.
• Drafting and issuing license agreements upon request from a licensor.
• Reviewing incoming licenses to make sure they conform to previously negotiated licensing templates and redlining/correcting any errors
• On-boarding internal and external music partners, including supervisors and finance teams, to the Music Team's music production tools.
• Assist in evaluating next generation technologies for contract administration and production finance tools to determine how and when to best incorporate them into the music workflow.
• Participating in other projects relating to Netflix's music needs.
• BA/BS degree and 5-10 years of contract administration experience in the music department at a major production company, film/television studio or television network.
• Unparalleled organizational skills and unwavering attention to detail.
• Tech savvy, with proficiency in the Google suite of apps (including Gmail and Google Docs), and a strong sense of how cloud-based document and database systems are used in a modern business environment.
• Clear, concise communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight timeframes in a fast-paced production environment.
• Skill working collaboratively with the ability to be fluid and respond positively to change, feedback and new ideas.
• Ability to pivot quickly and be resourceful, think practically and be solution-oriented.
• Curiosity and eagerness to tackle additional projects as needed and tackle matters outside area of expertise.