Manager, Originals Publicity, Japan
Full Time Job
Fueled by the broad appeal of being able to instantly enjoy unlimited movies and TV shows, Netflix has grown to have over 125 million streaming members in over 190 countries. This is a great opportunity to join the team that is spearheading and handling publicity campaigns for the largest Internet entertainment network in the world, with a chance to work on content that features high production value from the brightest filmmakers and actors around the world, using the latest technology.
The Manager of Originals Publicity, Japan will be based in Tokyo and work as part of the publicity team to formulate and implement strategy for Japan for a growing slate of Netflix Original content. The position will provide a critical link between agencies in Japan and Netflix in promoting Original content on the service. It's the chance to be part of changing the entertainment landscape across the globe and to seize the opportunity to take different approaches in managing and executing promotional and publicity campaigns.
This role reports to Director of Publicity - Japan.
The Originals Publicity Manager - Japan will work across several different disciplines that bring Original series and films to fruition here at Netflix. They will drive innovative publicity campaigns drawing on the incredible slate of local and international originals to drive our business in Japan. They will independently formulate, and drive creative and executable campaigns, communicate priorities and present clear goals to stakeholders. The ideal candidate will use sound judgement to make wise decisions, think strategically and drive their team members to do the same.
Work includes but is not limited to:
• Identify titles that will drive the business in Japan
• Set strategy & execute publicity campaigns for Netflix original series and films (global and Japan)
• Influence and adapt global publicity strategies for the needs of the Japan market
• Work successfully with cross functional partners both in Japan and internationally
• Run campaigns across earned media channels, including broadcast, print and online to maximize title promotion
• Create cultural moments and high impact campaigns, with an emphasis on trying new and innovative ways to promote titles
• Serve as the expert on the region with the ability to convey cultural needs and nuances
• Formulate and manage a budget, and give visibility into the process successfully
• Day to day responsibilities include but are not limited to: formulating and implementing title strategy, pitching press, writing press releases, managing set visit nominations, scheduling junkets, liaising with journalists, talent representatives and talent, implementing screening strategy and agency management.
• Depending upon the successful candidate and continued evolution of the team, the role may also involve the management of a small team of senior, experienced publicists
• Have 8-10 years of experience in an entertainment PR setting - either agency or film/TV
• International experience or knowledge of international media/strategy is a bonus
• Strong press landscape knowledge and relationships with key media
• Be able to understand and comfortably interpret business and technology issues
• Be a clear and concise communicator
• Experience building and executing a PR strategy and work well across disciplines
• Have experience managing agencies, be effective in dealing with talent, talent reps, journalists and other media influencers.
• Fluency in both English (a must) and Japanese.
• Experience managing a team would be preferable
• Domestic and international travel is a requirement.
• Be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously under deadline and thrive in a high energy, fast-paced environment.
To succeed at Netflix, the candidate must also possess the following characteristics:
• The ability to think innovatively - connecting the dots when others cannot. Able to make the leap from information to insight. Able to identify, nurture and help refine compelling creative ideas and concepts.
• Succinct Communicator. Great writer and clear talker. Can organize, summarize, clarify and communicate ideas simply, succinctly and accurately.
• Has a quick intelligence, is fast on the feet and quickly responds to issues and questions. Says it like it is; not wrapped in political niceties.
• Pragmatic, organized and detailed. Has a big capacity to both think and 'do'. Flourishes in a 'hands on' role, adding value at different levels. Is strong on detail and highly organized.
• A smart minimalist. Keeps things simple. Knows that global communications can be made complex---and will resist and prevent that.
• Has a Point of View. An independent thinker willing and able to express and support a point of view.
• Pace moves at a nice clip and enjoys having multiple projects going at once.
• Can change course, be scrappy and get things done within short timeframes.
• Integrity. Has sound judgment, and will question actions inconsistent with company values.
• An Adult. Is a mature, fully-formed adult with a happy, well balanced life. Is motivated by what is best for Netflix.
• A strong belief in our culture. We live by our values, so it's worth learning more about them at jobs.netflix.com/culture.