Manager, Music Licensing
Full Time Job
Manager, Music Licensing (UK)
As a Music Licensing expert you love music and everything about the music process for film, series and documentaries. You know everyone in the industry: the record companies, the publishers, the indies, the music supervisors, music libraries, production houses, music editors, artists, songwriters and managers. You think having several different licenses (synch and master) for the same work makes complete sense, you are used to clearing compositions with as many as 5 or more publishers, and you are not fazed by split territory deals or British Reversionary Rights. You know who to contact for that obscure track from the 1970s and you're ready with alternate tracks to suggest if it doesn't clear. The music production process for original content is second nature to you - from script to budget to music clearance to on-camera through to delivery, reviewing/negotiating form licenses and reviewing/compiling/submitting cue sheets - you've mastered that and feel comfortable working independently through the process.
Beyond the tactics you also understand the importance of relationships and communication. You understand the dynamics among showrunners, executive producers, line producers, producers, finance, production, post production, credits, labor, marketing, publicity, content localization, business affairs and legal affairs and know when and how to engage and align the appropriate teams when a music licensing issue calls. You are comfortable speaking directly with producers, lawyers, managers and with creative, production and other studio executives, and you expertly collaborate with all partners to find solutions to make the seemingly unsolvable, solvable. You may produce locally but you think globally.
The ideal candidate will have: expertise in the music licensing market for series or film production in the UK and other key series/film production hubs throughout EMEA; a thorough understanding of the music nuances in producing for local markets (whether for linear distribution or other media) vs producing for global distribution; and immersive, hands-on experience in independently negotiating commercial terms and legal issues and drafting music license agreements for series/film production in those markets.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of a public company with a great consumer brand and to help Netflix shape the future of entertainment.
• Managing and administering Netflix music clearance needs and music rights management from start to finish, including securing music quotes, tracking territory, media and terms.
• Managing, drafting, negotiating, reviewing, redlining, tracking and administering licenses (master and synch, etc.) and establishing, negotiating and administering music license boilerplate forms with all licensors.
• Researching music ownership and seeking, obtaining and negotiating quotes from labels, publishers and music libraries.
• Advising on music licensing budgets.
• Conducting music onboarding sessions with music supervisors and music clearance executives.
• Reviewing scripts and working with producers, music supervisors (if applicable) and other production personnel to identify music and/or lyrics that may require clearance and monitor the music budget.
• Building and maintaining strong relationships throughout the music industry.
• Participating in other projects specific to Netflix's music needs.
• The successful candidate will have a BA/BS degree and 5-10 years of direct music clearance and music license review/negotiation experience in the music department at a major production, film/television studio, television network, publisher, label, or law firm.
• Fluency in other languages is highly preferred.
• Experience providing in-house support in a film or television production company is highly preferred.
• Clear, concise communication skills.
• Negotiation and communication style that is adaptable to local markets
• Highly-collaborative, with the ability to be fluid and respond positively to change and new ideas
• Exceptional organizational skills and an unwavering attention to detail
• Strong analytical capabilities and judgment, even when the rules are unclear and the issues are of first impression
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight timeframes in a fast-paced production environment.
• Ability to pivot quickly and fluidly, think practically and be solution-oriented.
• Curiosity and eagerness to tackle additional projects as needed, including matters outside of your area of expertise
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment and changing the way more than 139 million subscribers around the world enjoy entertainment. Our international efforts have brought Netflix to virtually all countries and we're excited to bring even more of our Originals programming to our viewers around the globe. It's an exciting time to work at Netflix.
Our growing global Music Business & Legal Affairs Group is looking for a new member to join the team: a Manager, Music Licensing - International Originals and Original Series (UK) who shares our passion for music and the entertainment industry to help support our expanding slate of International Originals and Original Series content produced outside of the U.S. Someone who seeks out and thrives in an environment where freedom and responsibility are a tenet, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates . A stunning and selfless colleague for whom no task is too small or insurmountable.
The Music Business & Legal Affairs Group is based in Los Angeles, London and Berlin and is responsible for all of Netflix's global music business affairs, legal affairs and strategy, from the production and licensing of Netflix Originals through to the distribution of the Netflix service globally. This role is based in our London office and will report to the Director, Music - International Originals and Original Series (UK) in the London office.