Manager, Marketing Music
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
The Netflix marketing legal team is hiring a seasoned manager of music to manage music clearance for Netflix's Marketing and PR teams.
Our Marketing and PR campaigns are a key part of Netflix's ongoing success, and music is core to those campaigns. Working closely with the existing marketing music team, the company's Music Group and stakeholders in the Marketing and PR organizations, the successful candidate will be comfortable working through a wide range of music clearance matters. Keeping in mind the strategic goals of the company and understanding the broader legal implications of each music deal is paramount. This includes working across various types of media in all kinds of integrations, having great relationships within the music industry and knowing how to keep forward momentum in the fast-moving world of marketing and PR. Helping find song owners (no matter how obscure), digging into challenging negotiations, and facilitating the marketing and PR teams music use.
The successful candidate loves everything music. S/he spends his/her free time going to venues, searching the Internet for the next great artists, and studying musicology. Because the role deals with so many people across all sizes of companies s/he knows everyone in the industry - the record labels, the publishers, artists, managers, studios, networks, agencies, marketing teams, producers, post producers, editors, and directors. S/he thinks having several different licenses (synch, master, mechanical, etc.) for the same work makes complete sense and doesn't think twice about a 7-way split ownership for ''a side'' of a song. S/he thinks about negotiation from a broad perspective and geeks out about the business side of music even more than the creative side.
The successful candidate will be someone who loves working in an environment where freedom and responsibility are tenets, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates. S/he will have incredible soft skills to compliment his/her diligent work ethic. S/he seeks an environment that places thoughtful efficiency over process yet s/he knows how to work with organizations or institutions that may not hold the same beliefs. This page outlines how s/he always thought a company should be run.
This role is based in Los Angeles, and reports into the Marketing Legal Group, and will be part of the larger music group at Netflix.
List of Responsibilities:
• Coordinating with Netflix's internal cross-functional stakeholders as well as outside parties including labels, publishers, copyright owners, composers, their managers and/or attorneys, regarding clearance, ownership, and financial procedures and license fees.
• Researching music ownership and seeking/obtaining quotes from labels and publishers.
• Managing, negotiating, and preparing/reviewing licenses (master and synch, etc.).
• Building and maintaining strong relationships with third-party companies, labels, artists, studios, publishers, producers, various guilds and music/performance associations (e.g., SAG-AFTRA, AFM).
• Meeting with current and new music production houses, libraries, songwriters and producers and making recommendations for future opportunities.
• Managing Netflix marketing and PR's music clearance needs and rights management, including tracking territory, media and terms and maintaining all cue sheets.
• Obtaining media buy schedules in order to pay talent fees, if necessary, for all spots and to provide to publisher's/labels as required by licenses.
• Providing creative input for use of songs when requested by the marketing creative teams.
• Following industry trends for new business/content opportunities.
• Participating in other projects specific to Netflix's marketing music needs.
• The successful candidate will have at least 7 years of direct music clearance experience at a major production, film/television studio, television network, agency, publisher, label, or law firm in the music department.
• Clear, concise communication skills.
• Ability to distill salient points and frame and present issues succinctly.
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight time-frames in a fast-paced production environment.
• Ability to pivot quickly, think practically, and be solution-oriented.
• Attention to detail and understanding of the critical nature of clean data as it pertains to music rights.