Manager, Creative Dubbing - International Dubbing
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Netflix is the world's leading internet entertainment service with 148 million memberships in over 190 countries enjoying content across a wide variety of genres and languages. The International Dubbing team is responsible for sharing those amazing stories to our growing international audience, supervising all aspects of lip-sync dubbing, voiceover, and audio description production.
As the International vertical creative dubbing manager, your mission is to preserve the original creative intent of our filmmakers throughout the many language adaptations Netflix commissions and distributes. Centered around audio production, a great team environment, and cutting-edge technology, this role is critical to Netflix's ability to provide the best-localized experience to our members. This role is located in and reports to our offices in Hollywood.
The Creative Dubbing Manager will be the main liaise and professional cross-functional contact for their respective Creative Dubbing vertical in International Dubbing. The ideal candidate will have a great passion for language, experience with the production of dubs, a deep appreciation of regional cultural differences, and a high level of intellectual curiosity. The role requires you to develop a relationship with our Original content and be able to strategically identify the challenges and complexities localization will face before it even begins. Preserving creative intent will be your mission and developing creative approaches to the challenges at hand will be your passion. This is a demanding and fast moving position that requires someone who is a proactive and positive thinker, and able to exercise good judgment and initiative.
• Manage and mentor a team of creative dubbing supervisors to drive creative localization strategy for Netflix Original content, and safeguard the creative intent of our filmmakers within our language dubs.
• Be the primary point of contact for creative localization for all titles within your vertical, driving strong relationships and collaboration with cross-functional partners in content acquisitions, post-production, product creative, business affairs, legal counsel, content planning & analysis, quality control, and regional marketing teams.
• Analyze content to identify and solve localization challenges and accommodate and/or provide risk assessment for any special upstream localization requests.
• Prepare in-depth dubbing guideline documentation for our localization partners
• Provide dubbing studios with casting notes and approve voice talent choices
• Communicate music & effects needs with mixers. Supervise mixing or recording sessions for high profile titles as needed
• Maintain a keen awareness of the current and future slate of titles within their assigned vertical, ensuring proper coverage of title assignments for their respective team and managing their bandwidth.
• Execute, refine and enhance Netflix dubbing strategy within respective vertical.
• Manage and help standardize dubbing workflows between the U.S and regional Netflix offices.
• Attend conferences, meetings, and industry events, be prepared to articulate plans, overviews, strategies, etc. that could be of help to his/her vertical.
• Provide proactive, innovative thinking around scalable solutions for dub asset creation and creative workflows, constantly questioning existing systems and looking for a better way.
• Build and leverage strong relationships with dub studios, dubbing directors, and creative contributors around the world.
• Advocate, understand, communicate, and exemplify the company's values
• A minimum of 3-5 years in leading teams and managing localization workflows in the entertainment industry; background in subtitling, dubbing, ADR or audio pre-lay creation and a passion for languages and translation quality
• Experience managing remote employees
• Ability to inspire trust and team building skills while creating professional representation on behalf of Netflix.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Highly analytical and able to get to the root cause of a problem; able to creatively figure out a solution or propose changes to existing workflows as required
• Adaptability and resilience to quick changes in priorities, technology, tools and workflow.
• Must be a team player and self-starter with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Must possess excellent presentation skills with the ability to concisely present Netflix's unique values via phone, email, online video conferences, trade shows, etc.
• Preferred Skills: Understanding or experience with audio terminology, LinkedIn expert, MS Office (Excel, PPT, Word), Google Suite. ProTools/Nuendo experience is a plus.
• No restrictions for business travel.
• Be able to successfully work on a remote basis.
• Passion for foreign-language film and series
• Bachelor's degree preferred and/or equivalent, relevant work experience.
• Fluency in English written and spoken required. Being bilingual or multilingual a plus.