Director - Virtual Production
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
As Netflix looks forward into the future of production, virtual production will exist as a core tenant, enabling our unique roster of creatives with breakthrough real-time technologies & dynamic new collaborative workflows. We are seeking an experienced candidate to help define how Netflix aims to incorporate Virtual Production across its varied content. Applicants should be willing to embark in blue sky science, gazing into the future, while determining practical applications that can apply back to Netflix's core production offerings. The candidate will report to the Director of Visual Effects with the goal to establish workflow methodologies & best practices for Virtual Production across all content types. He or she will be the technical point-person responsible for empowering project leads with the visualization technologies necessary to better plan their productions for filmmakers. In addition, the candidate will help oversee the NLab (Netflix Labs) initiatives to identify and experiment with the latest real-time technologies as it applies for future projects and construct software & hardware roadmaps in conjunction with key industry partners and cross functional teams.
• Work directly with creatives, production teams, and filmmakers to aid in the use of Virtual Production within their specific project needs.
• Collaborate with cross functional teams to help prepare budgets and schedules for Virtual Production workflows, vetting internally on viability and risks.
• Provide guidance and feedback on Virtual Production scope of work and best practices.
• Foster the adoption of new practices, frameworks and technology as it applies to Virtual Production within the company. Establish Virtual Production business offerings that prove beneficial to both high-end and limited budget productions.
• Aid Director of Visual Effects on building a framework for widespread use of Virtual Production, as appropriate, across the companies' productions.
• Identify key strategic technology partners for use in visualization.
• Manage technical research projects and provide supervision to nLabs R&D team on exploring the use of new real-time technologies.
• Work cross-functionally with various teams inside Netflix in the capacity of technical advisor for Virtual Production.
• Contribute to the company's culture of curiosity and self-disciplined pro-active responsibility as part of the Virtual Production and VFX team along with strong partnership toward Physical Production and Animation.
• Ability to architect systems that are intended to be best, not for short term wins, but for the long-term strategy of the company.
• 5 years' experience as a full-time lead or supervisor on feature films, Series, commercial, video game productions.
• Technical proficiency in performance capture (motion capture, facial capture, digital double, tracking solutions) and on-set visualization (SimulCam, set extensions) technologies.
• Experience with real-time technologies (Unity, Unreal, etc) and rendering pipelines (Renderman, VRay, Arnold).
• Must be able to work well in high pressure and collaborative creative production environments.
• Self-motivated proactive leader with the capacity to work independently.
• Proven experience in managing engineering and creative teams on-site and remotely. Capable of working with producers and production managers on implementing production workflows on-time and on-budget.
• Ability to successfully supervise several projects at various points of production (from early creative development through post production delivery).
• Should have impeccable communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Expected to mentor and advise members of their team.
• Has a compulsive curiosity about design, innovation, technology and content.