Director of Product Innovation - Kids, Teen & Family
NetflixLos Gatos, CA
Full Time Job
The Netflix product experience across devices such as SmartTVs, mobile phones, and PCs are where our members around the world discover and watch TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Netflix is looking for a leader to drive key areas of our product innovation as we strive to define the future of entertainment discovery and consumption.
The focus of this role is to lead our product innovation on the Netflix kids experience globally across all devices. We launched our first dedicated kids experience in early 2011 and the kids experience is now used regularly by tens of millions of our younger members across 190 countries. Kids and parents have unique needs in how they discover and watch TV shows and movies. The opportunity for this leader is to innovate the experience around these specific needs. In addition, Netflix is producing some of the most popular kids content in the world and part of this role is innovating on driving understanding and positioning of original content in the Netflix kids experience.
Our rigorous, testing-driven innovation model focuses on exploring and defining great ideas then validating them against our core metrics through live testing. This analytical approach is at the intersection of creativity and analytics and requires a leader with strong right and left brain skills. Examples of our recent product innovation can be seen here and here and provide a sense of our work and our expectations.
About this role...
The leader in this role will own and drive key areas of our product innovation work. They will have the responsibility to continually develop metrics-driving improvements to the Netflix kids experience on a global scale. The focus of this role is the kids member experience: all content discovery and playback with a key emphasis on evolving our dedicated kids experience, a safe area for kids that parents can trust. To accomplish this, this leader will work as the cross-functional kids product leader with our engineering, design, consumer insights, data sciences, and content teams to develop and execute their ideas. This role reports to the Vice President of Product Innovation.
What you might not know…
An important leadership role with the major responsibility of owning our kids product roadmap, this position has no direct reports. Product innovation is so critical to us that we align our product organization around the execution of product innovation and want our product leaders to be free to focus on improving our product experience rather than managing an organization. As a product innovation leader in our comparably small and nimble product organization you can have a tremendous impact on our 118 million members in 190 countries around the world. Our culture is unique and is a key part of our approach to innovation.
• Defining and owning our product innovation roadmap for the Netflix kids experience across all Netflix platforms (TV, website, tablet, mobile)
• Working cross-functionally with teams across Netflix to develop and execute ideas through all aspects of the product development lifecycle including design, development, testing, and productization
• Working closely with the Netflix kids original content development team to define new product innovation opportunities for our kids experience
• Owning all final decisions on the kids product experience, look and feel, and execution
• As a product leader, you are the owner for the kids product area across the company
• Huge enthusiasm for defining and evolving a great internet video experience for kids
• 7 years experience in areas of product development with demonstrated history defining great consumer experiences
• Experience and demonstrated leadership working effectively with design and engineering teams
• Proven instincts about user experience, design, and consumer needs
• Understanding of quantitative research methods such as AB testing and analytics
• A strong critical thinker with a balance of creative and analytical skills
• Excellent communication skills and ability to excel in a dynamic, intellectual, results-driven environment
• Direct experience in product design and/or engineering is a big plus
• Direct experience in kids technology and/or kids entertainment is a big plus
• A bachelor's degree; post-graduate degree preferred
• A passion for TV and movies and defining the future of entertainment