Director - Business & Legal Affairs, Strategic Knowledge Management
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Netflix is changing the way more than 130 million subscribers around the world enjoy entertainment. As a company, we challenge industry norms by pushing one another to think creatively about difficult problems. Our business & legal affairs and production legal teams are no exception. We think strategically about the range of deal structures, terms, business practices and industry ecosystems we navigate around the globe. We also look critically at the legal issues our productions face, aiming to be as fluent with those encountered in the US, UK and Germany as we are with those experienced in some of our newer production markets like Brazil, India and Korea. And we do so in a manner consistent with our larger culture of freedom and responsibility, one marked by a bias toward action, by leaning into smart risks and by taking ownership of bold decisions.
These teams, and their colleagues handling IP / Production Clearance, Music, Labor Relations and related areas, are some of the brightest minds in the business, and their work covers hundreds of cutting edge productions in scripted and unscripted series, features, documentaries, standup comedy, animation, and kids and family programming each year. If you'd like to join them as a key member of the team, please read on.
This is a first-of-its-kind role. Reporting directly to the head of Business & Legal Affairs in Los Angeles the owner of this role will be responsible for developing and advancing knowledge and information management initiatives for Netflix's content-related business and legal affairs functions. In that capacity she will focus on two key areas:
First, she will act as a centralized advisor and resource for Netflix content production, curating the legal research and practical production knowledge we gather weekly, identifying internal legal expertise, and proactively tracking where that expertise needs to be beefed up or updated as a result of changes in relevant law or custom. Because Netflix produces around the world, this is a role with a global mandate, requiring partnership with colleagues located not just in Los Angeles and New York, but also in Sao Paulo, Madrid, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Mumbai, Tokyo, Singapore and Seoul.
Second, she will own our ''forms library;'' empowering our deal teams by streamlining, shortening and harmonizing (where appropriate) our forms across those content types referenced above, as well as any other programming areas Netflix may choose to dive in to. In this capacity, she'll need to grok the business and our ambitions, and think strategically about which terms and forms should be localized for particular markets (as opposed to global). She will also drive evolving dealmaking policies and language for multiple teams by working with various groups across the Netflix Studio (e.g. labor, IP, music, employment legal, production finance, physical production, VFX, Post, compliance, security, public policy).
Because of the broad scope of responsibility involved, our bar is high. The ideal candidate will have hands-on expertise overseeing production and genuine empathy for the attorneys and various other production personnel who get those productions up and running. She will have the deep curiosity and drive necessary to develop cutting-edge products that empower them to make smarter, more efficient decisions. She will be excited to collaborate with our growing Legal Operations and Technology team; driving the transformation of knowledge and information into accessible knowledge products and technology solutions with a focus on measuring effectiveness. She'll be fully comfortable working independently, driving resolutions forward across multiple stakeholders, and making decisions that have both legal and business impact.
The ideal candidate will also possess the following:
• 15 years of extensive development, BLA and/or production legal experience across multiple genres (e.g., scripted, unscripted, TV and features, live action and animation), a good chunk of which was gained in-house at a studio and/or network
• Passion for and mastery of the art and science of interpreting and constructing legal provisions and agreements
• A highly collaborative project management style, with the ability to be fluid and respond positively to change and new ideas
• Strong analytical capabilities and judgment, even when the rules are unclear and the issues are of first impression
• Ingenuity and the ability to pivot and make decisions quickly, think practically and be solution-oriented
• Experience teaching and mentoring and the ability to distill complex legal and business concepts into teachable and digestible components
• Deep cross-cultural EQ, and an understanding of how different markets or ecosystems might require different solutions
• Previous experience supervising legal staff, as the role may need to develop and lead a small team over time
• Curiosity and an ability to learn our business, understand our culture, and foster a similar spirit of learning and continuous development in others
• Tech savvy, enthusiastic about automated and indexable knowledge management solutions, and able to work effectively with product managers
• J.D. and membership in good standing of at least one (US) state bar