Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs, International Originals
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Netflix seeks a an intellectually curious attorney to join Netflix's growing International Originals initiative focused on creating local language content in a variety of international markets, e.g., Dark (Germany), 3% (Brazil), and Devilman Crybaby (Japan). This position will focus initially on our rapidly growing businesses producing content in regions in Asia, although we anticipate the areas of focus will change and evolve over time. The successful candidate will be a key member of the International Originals team and will work closely alongside business and creative partners, international producers and local counsel to structure content agreements and harmonize Netflix objectives within international production frameworks. In doing so, the Counsel will be responsible for learning and implementing the legal landscape and production customs necessary to develop and produce international content for the Netflix global digital streaming platform. As a result, the ideal candidate will be very comfortable counseling business partners, managing international teams and making decisions that have both legal and business impact.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a public company with a great consumer brand and to help Netflix shape the future of digital media. The ideal candidate will welcome the opportunity to be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization and thrive in learning international law.
The successful candidate will have 5 years of broad-based legal experience, preferably with large firm and direct experience in media development and production, licensing and distribution. Experience with international markets and practical knowledge of the industry, as well as relevant language skills are also preferred.
The successful candidate will also possess the following:
• Curiosity and willingness to tackle matters outside their area of expertise
• Strong communication skills - written and oral (candor, honesty)
• Strong analytical (strategic and creative) capabilities and judgment
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight time frames in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work across different countries, cultures and time zones
• Ability to work with and manage outside counsel internationally
• Ability to work in a small group, tackle all challenges and take initiative
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively cross-functionally, think practically and be solution-oriented
• Adaptable negotiation style
• Passion for Netflix's strategy and an interest in different cultures
• Comfortable traveling internationally