Clearance & Rights Analyst, Intellectual Property
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Clearance & Rights Analyst, Intellectual Property (Spain & LatAm)
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment with one simple goal: to bring people joy. Our international efforts have brought Netflix's service and award-winning Originals programming to viewers in over 190 countries.
To bring joy to global audiences, we need truly global content. That doesn't always come from Hollywood. So our Content & Brand IP team is in search of a IP Coordinator in Los Angeles to advise film and television productions and executives on all matters related to intellectual property issues. Those include chain of title research, title clearance, production clearance, IP enforcement, claim defense, negotiating license agreements, among others. This role will closely collaborate with the creative, business, and legal teams that create Netflix's great content.
As IP Coordinator, your intellectual property experience enables you to work across any situation that may be encountered related to a production. You aren't phased by the last minute surprises that inevitably arise when shooting a film, series or documentary. You can navigate those situations while allowing your studio colleagues to fulfill their creative and business goals. You understand the dynamics among showrunners, executive producers, line producers, production departments, marketing and creative, and know when and how to align the appropriate teams when an IP issue arises. You have experience evaluating risk with imperfect information and have the confidence to make quick decisions. Your expert eye for detail and exceptional organizational talents mean that you are able to improve upon systems to gain efficiency. You are passionate about the entertainment industry and are excited to learn more about the business from a non-traditional perspective.
This is an opportunity to shape the future of entertainment. The successful candidate will love working in an environment where freedom and responsibility are tenets, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates. That candidate will also thrive in an environment that values thoughtful efficiency over process, and knows how to work with organizations that may not hold the same beliefs.
The Clearance & Rights Analyst role will be focused on Spain & Latin America region (SpLATAM), based in Los Angeles. Reporting directly to our head of IP for Latam in Los Angeles, some travel may be required.
• 3 years of experience in film and/or television advising productions on different kind of intellectual property issues.
• Experience managing multiple projects, fast-paced clearance activities with production personnel, clearance firms and licensors of production materials; and organizing a high-volume of scripts, research reports, license agreements and other clearance documents.
• Experience negotiating and drafting license agreements for a wide variety of production materials for use in filmed entertainment.
• Familiarity with chain-of-title in connection with rights acquisitions in the media industry.
• General understanding of domestic IP law in SpLatam countries, including issues related with copyright and trademarks (as well as a general understanding of personality rights and freedom of speech).
• Understanding of how filmed entertainment is developed and produced.
• Unparalleled organizational skills and unwavering attention to detail.
• Clear, concise communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and creative thinking.
• Capacity to work effectively and collaboratively cross-functionally.
• Curious and eager to tackle matters outside area of expertise.
• Fluency in Spanish is required (but Portuguese is a plus!).
• Law degree optional, but preferred.
• Sense of humour!
• Reviewing scripts, evaluating art, wardrobe, props and other production materials.
• Negotiating licenses when necessary.
• Conduct chain of title review and provide concise and pragmatic analysis.
• Conduct due diligence on rights acquisitions.
• Implement efficient workflows for production clearance and chain of title review.
• Keep apprised of developments in the entertainment industry and adjust Netflix's rights and copyright-related practices accordingly.
• Document and template management.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with outside counsel and vendors.