NBC Tokyo Olympics Internship
NBC UniversalStamford, CT
Part Time Paid Internship
NBCUniversal is one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
NBCUniversal's Internships are the perfect way to gain experience while learning what a career at NBCUniversal might have in store for you. Games of the XXXII Olympiad will take place in Summer 2020 in Tokyo, Japan. A select number of students will have the opportunity to intern either at the NBC Sports Group facility in Stamford, CT or in Tokyo, Japan.
This will be a paid internship. Travel and accommodations are subject to credentialing approval for those traveling to Tokyo, Japan. Interns working in Stamford, CT will be housed in Stamford, CT for the duration of his/her assignment by NBCUniversal, however the interns working in Stamford, CT will be responsible for any travel expenses in accordance with his/her Olympic assignment. Most internship assignments will last approximately 3-6 weeks between July and August 2020.
Internships during the 2020 Tokyo Olympics may include (but are not limited to):
• Responsibilities may include script running for studio shows or assisting sport producers with footage needs, transcribing, and basic research
• Candidates must be self-starters, proficient with computers, and have knowledge of sports
• Position requires accuracy, promptness, and patience
Digital Production Assistants
Assist in the production of 100 daily live streams and 300 daily video highlights & features from every Olympic sport and event, for publication on NBC's digital platforms, which include NBCOlympics.com, the NBC Sports app, social media channels, connected television apps (Roku, Apple TV, Xfinity, etc.), and other outlets like Taxicabs, sidewalk kiosks, etc.
• Monitoring and logging all live Olympic competitions (NBC Olympics covers every event live in all 41 sports)
• Identifying key moments and assembling shot lists for highlight packages, features, and social media posting
• Adding chapter markers (to aid in navigation) and commercial insertion points into live streams
• Organizing and cataloguing top shots of each day for ''best of'' compilation packages
• Knowledge of/experience in summer Olympic sports
• Video editing experience in either Avid, Adobe Premier, Final Cut Pro or similar non-linear editing system
• Detail-oriented and able to work in a busy, live production environment
Video Streaming Coordinators
Learn to manage digital live streams of Olympic and non-Olympic sporting events for digital consumption on desktop, mobile and connected devices.
• Setting up & running digitally-encoded streams of live sporting events, including the Olympics as well as others in the NBC Sports portfolio
• Monitoring stream quality and real-time traffic using digital analytic tools
• Creating full event replays of the streams
• Coordinating with editorial staff to publish streams on NBC's digital platforms
• Working within an online Content Management System (CMS), Wikis and other task management systems
• Assist digital technical teams with testing and other preparations in the lead-up to the Olympics
• Ability to work nights and weekends (as these are the most popular times for live sports broadcasts)
• Experience running live streams of college/school sporting events
• Experience in live linear sports production and operations
• Ability to work with outside vendors and internal resources in a cross-functional capacity
• Must be reliable and punctual
• Responsible for logging events as they happen, as well as logging tapes from various feature shoots
• Candidates must be proficient with computers and have knowledge of sports
• Position requires accuracy, excellent typing skills, and patience
include clerical and administrative tasks, production support and running errands. Runners must be flexible, willing to assist with any required task and have a great attitude at all times.
Provide operation support to all NBC Olympics functional areas including:
• Executive Office
• Hospitality & Accommodations
• Sports Venues
Additional skills required for Engineering Runners:
• PC computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word, also ability to learn and understand NBC specific software systems
• Must have working knowledge of broadcast equipment, audio and video cables/connections and production supplies
• Any familiarity with engineering terms and practices would be a plus
Additional skills required for IT Runners:
• Must be a self-starter willing to take on new tasks, with the ability to prioritize, manage time, and quickly respond to issues
• Must be willing and eager to learn new skills and processes, as well as willing to work with other groups outside of IT
• Must be willing to learn new technical skills, such as pc equipment and software setup, and assist with testing software
• In pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor or Graduate degree at an Accredited Institution and able to provide documentation to confirm degree progress
• Must be enrolled in college at the time of the internship with current class standing of sophomore or above (students who graduate prior to July 2020 will not be eligible for the program)
• Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship by NBCUniversal
• Must be able to work on-site in Tokyo, Japan or Stamford, CT
• Must be willing to work assigned hours, including evenings and weekends
• Knowledge/interest in Olympic Sports
• All majors welcome – preferred majors: Journalism, Communications, Japanese Language Majors, Graphic Design, Engineering, and Business
• Previous internship experience or on-campus leadership
Internships at NBCUniversal are paid and do not require course credit
Deadline: Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by September 30, 2019
**NBCUniversal prohibits interns from participating in any other internship programs while employed by NBCUniversal without written permission from the Director, Campus Programs & Initiatives or Olympics HR.