Writer / Editor
National GeographicWashington, DC
Full Time Job
The Writer/Editor will develop, draft, and edit copy for National Geographic Expeditions. This position participates and makes recommendations for content themes for direct mail, website, email, and social media pieces. The position will also draft copy for guest-facing documents such as itineraries, pre-trip and post-trip materials.
• Writes and develops original content in the National Geographic Expeditions voice for the various travel products. Synthesizes information, researches destinations, checks facts, and drafts original itineraries for print and web. Also supports content development for other Expeditions product lines when available.
• Contributes to all department marketing and informational-gathering initiatives. Participates in content focus strategy for marketing efforts including, drafting emails, direct mail pieces, advertising, and positioning. Drafts and edits surveys. Maintains up-to-date copy across Expeditions websites and direct mail pieces.
• Reviews and edits guest-facing materials (including pre-trip materials). Ensures brand standards are in place.
• Bachelor's degree with 3 years copywriting experience. Travel industry experience a plus.
• Excellent written communication skills, attention to detail
• Strong analytical skills and ability to synthesize information
• Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, Google Docs
• Requires strong customer orientation skills, effective collaboration skills, and ability to multi-task and meet deadlines in fast-paced environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
The National Geographic Channels form the television and production arm of National Geographic Partners, a joint venture between 21st Century Fox and the National Geographic Society. As a global leader in premium science, adventure and exploration programming, the Channels include: National Geographic Channel (NGC), Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo People and Nat Geo MUNDO. Additionally, the Channels also run the in-house television production unit, National Geographic Studios. The Channels contribute to the National Geographic Society's commitment to exploration, conservation and education with entertaining, innovative programming from A-level talent around the world, and with profits that help support the society's mission. Globally, NGC is available in more than 440 million homes in 171 countries and 45 languages, and Nat Geo WILD is available in 131 countries and 38 languages. National Geographic Partners is also a leader in social media, with a fan base of 250 million people across all of its social pages. NGC contributes over 55 million social media fans globally on Facebook alone.