Senior Content Director, Culture & Exploration
National GeographicWashington, DC
Full Time Job
The Senior Content Director, Culture & Exploration leads the team and content strategy for a key National Geographic digital content vertical, assigning, editing, and curating daily and long-lead stories across multiple formats - text, video, photo, graphics. This position works hand-in-glove with the Culture & Exploration Photo and Video Editors, Audience Development, and SEO (search engine optimization) stakeholders to ensure content strategies are visually-driven and informed by audience and platform insights. The Senior Content Director, Culture & Exploration will lead a team of dedicated, embedded, affiliated, and freelance writers, editors, producers, photo editors, and video producers to conceive and produce new daily and franchise storytelling that aligns with core Culture & Exploration themes, including maps, history, subcultures around the globe, gender and racial issues, and the work of National Geographic-funded explorers. The Senior Content Director, Culture & Exploration leaves no stone unturned to identify new story ideas that support the growth of their content vertical, support the voice and vision, uphold the quality expectations of the National Geographic brand, and increase daily output through opportunities including but not limited to: expanding our contributor pool; commissioning and curating new story pitches; resurfacing archival content; identifying new stories bubbling up across key social tools and our own social platforms; proactively working with the National Geographic Society; and catching digital opportunities from other National Geographic content teams, like Channels, Magazine, or Books.
• Spearheads and manages the content and distribution strategies (from conception to execution) for all monthly tent poles, franchises, or daily content; vertical leads are accountable for driving the support of key Digital groups including Audience Development, SEO, Insights and Analytics, and relevant cross-National Geographic teams such as our magazine and TV channels.
• Acts as a player/coach by bringing experience and leadership as a seasoned editor and edits when needed.
• Uses brand, voice, and data judgment to commission or curate stories; working collaboratively Photo and Video editors, Audience Development and SEO teams to inform their decisions.
• Leverages various content groups - including dedicated vertical staff, freelancers, and video and photo teams - and directs the resources of the Speed Team to execute on their content strategies.
• Works with the aforementioned content teams to proactively solicit pitches and make assignments, break news, source new stories from archival, and commission more in-depth features and tent poles.
• Supports the team in sourcing and identifying new stories from all types of places: Twitter, a small blog, the National Geographic archives, reddit, Crowdtangle, the Audience Development and SEO teams, our Explorers and Photographers, our Instagram account, the 10th paragraph of another story, etc… the Sr. Content Director, Culture & Exploration is always working with their team to brainstorm informative, interesting and impactful story ideas.
• Creates and oversees vertical content calendar - looking forward as far as possible.
• Brings a deep understanding of their field - they position themselves as subject matter experts internally and externally - and represent their vertical as a content leader at industry events and in PR or other media opportunities.
• Is familiar with how to use key measurement tools like Adobe Analytics, Crowdtangle, Facebook Insights, and other primary products to glean insights, track progress and, with support of the I&A team, translate that information into action.
• Works closely with the VP of Editorial, VP of Visuals, and the SVP of Digital Content and Audience Development to set a vertical strategy, establish goals, and map out ways to achieve them.
• Routinely works with the Commercial and Publisher Management group and Sales leads to understand marketplace opportunities and to communicate important vertical updates.
• Bachelors Degree with relevant experience
• PC/Mac Office applications, Adobe Analytics, Crowdtangle, Facebook Insights
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
The National Geographic Channels form the television and production arm of National Geographic Partners, a joint venture between 21st Century Fox and the National Geographic Society. As a global leader in premium science, adventure and exploration programming, the Channels include: National Geographic Channel (NGC), Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo People and Nat Geo MUNDO. Additionally, the Channels also run the in-house television production unit, National Geographic Studios. The Channels contribute to the National Geographic Society's commitment to exploration, conservation and education with entertaining, innovative programming from A-level talent around the world, and with profits that help support the society's mission. Globally, NGC is available in more than 440 million homes in 171 countries and 45 languages, and Nat Geo WILD is available in 131 countries and 38 languages. National Geographic Partners is also a leader in social media, with a fan base of 250 million people across all of its social pages. NGC contributes over 55 million social media fans globally on Facebook alone.